Vegan ginger cumin carrots are roasted in the oven until caramelized, sweet, spiced and destined to be new THE STAR of your dinner!
You are just going to love this simple and easy side dish as it is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo friendly, cardiac friendly but still full of flavor. Who knew clean eating could be so delicious!
We made one batch of Vegan Ginger Cumin Carrots and they seemed to evaporate from the kitchen table in nanoseconds. I was only able to snag one on to my plate before the dish evaporated. I highly recommend a double batch or maybe even a triple batch, if you want to claim any for your own plate.
Getting your family to eat their vegetables can be a struggle but this dish seems defy all odds. First, carrots are not green. That right there is half of the battle. Secondly, the earthy cumin spice and warming ginger transform these carrots from HO-HUM ...to "Are you going to eat that last carrot?" Lastly, these delicious carrots roasting in the oven make your house smell amazing.
You only need 20 little minutes to roast your carrots. This delicious little side dish goes with so many dishes and is especially lovely with chicken or turkey. By any chance were you looking for a side dish to go with your Thanksgiving turkey? Ginger carrots might be the perfect answer.
We know that holidays can be a little stressful in the kitchen, so we have tested this recipe many times. You can roast your vegan ginger cumin carrots up to 3 days before and just reheat on the day of your gathering. (You might want to put a pad lock on them in the refrigerator with a sign, "Do NOT Eat!") However, other that slight issue, your vegan ginger cumin carrots could not be any easier to prepare.
Vegan Ginger Cumin Carrots
- 1.5 pounds carrots
whole baby carrots with the stems (peeled and if large cut lengthwise in half to cook faster)
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil (melted if consolidated)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 inch ginger
knob fresh grated (can also use ½ teaspoon dried ground)
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
with skin still on ( or can add ¼ teaspoon ground dried garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp cilantro (coriander) - Optional to garnish chopped finely or parsley, if you prefer
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C)
- Place your peeled whole baby carrots on the baking sheet (note that the diameter of my carrots were only about ½ inch or less so if you have large carrots then cut them in ½ or even ¼ them lengthwise so that they cook faster for you) You can also use the pre cut and peeled baby carrots that are ready to eat at your grocery store. (You may have to adjust your cooking depending on how large in diameter your carrots are)
- Add the coconut oil, cumin, ginger, salt and pepper on to your carrots and toss and rub carrots to make sure that you have all of your seasoning evenly distributed.
- Add three whole garlic cloves on the baking sheet unpeeled ( or if you do not have fresh garlic then just add a sprinkle of garlic powder on your carrot before baking in the oven.
- Roast your carrots uncovered for about 20 minutes or until fork tender. If your carrots are larger in diameter then you may have to roast for longer until fork tender.
- Squeeze the soft caramelized garlic out of the peeling and toss gently in the roasted carrots. Garnish with a little chopped cilantro and enjoy.