Easy Microwave Chocolate Pudding is a rich and silky dairy free dark chocolate dessert made in less than 5 minutes in the microwave with only five ingredients. (Vegan and Gluten-free)
When is the last time you have had homemade chocolate pudding?
By the way, the fake stuff in the box does not count. We are talking real homemade, no weird ingredients, chocolate pudding that can be made is a flash and so thick and rich you can stand a spoon up in it. Easy Microwave Chocolate Pudding is a deep dark chocolate decadent pudding that satisfies your appetite for a sweet creamy indulgence. Shut the front door as you are going to need a personal moment with your personal pudding cup.
It has been awhile, right? We totally get it. You don’t make homemade pudding because it’s a hassle. So, you end up grabbing a box of that instant pudding on the shelf, not even the cooked kind because we cannot be bothered. Are we right? Hey, we totally understand but this recipe is going to change all that forever. Try our homemade Pudding and say goodbye to the boxed pudding version forever.
Why you are going to love this Pudding
Deep dark chocolate
Only 3 minutes in the microwave
Only 5 ingredients
What are the ingredients to make a delicious easy microwave chocolate pudding?
You probably have everything in your pantry to make this right now…Go and check we will wait..
Unsweetened Cocoa powder
Almond milk or dairy free milk or dairy of choice
How about that? You can pronounce everything on this list and there are no weird dyes, artificial ingredients or things that you can’t pronounce. We used almond milk as we have dairy sensitives here. However, you can use any kind of dairy you desire or even coconut milk or oat milk. If you need to keep it gluten-free, there are many organic gluten-free cocoa powders at the market. Otherwise, a good old fashion Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder works just fine. If you like chocolate and want a healthy and quick recipe be sure to try out Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie.
How to sweeten your Pudding?
Feel free to use regular granulated sugar, coconut sugar (like we did) or sweeteners of choice to sweeten your Easy Microwave Chocolate Pudding. We did not use a sweetener alternative as for us all sweetener alternatives have that odd metallic taste.
Best way to prevent pudding skin from developing?
Once you are done mixing your pudding, be sure to place a plastic wrap over and in contact with the pudding so that it does not for a skin. This skin forming starts almost immediately.
Speedy way to cool off your pudding
Waiting for your Easy Microwave pudding to be cool enough to eat it can seem like decades. First, you are welcome to eat it hot if you like. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, your body prefers room temperature or warmed foods as it has to work less to extract the nutrients. If you like hot puddings, be sure to try our hot black sesame cereal. If you are impatient like us, we placed our bowl in the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes to get it cooled off quicker.
Pro tips to making chocolate pudding from scratch
- Make sure you either sift or breakup any lumps in your dry ingredients. Dry ingredients like unsweetened cocoa powder, can get little clumps in it as it sits on the shelf. That is bad news for your pudding. The goal is to a smooth and creamy chocolate pudding. Don’t skip this step.
- Add the non- dairy or dairy of choice in very slowly while whisking. This helps prevent the clumping that might occur.
- Every microwave is different. However, on high power for 1 minute each time with a stir in between took us only 4 minutes in the microwave.
- When you put it in the microwave for the first minute, your pudding will form these thick larger lumps. That is to be expected just stir and whisk to incorporate before microwaving your pudding for the second minute. Then, repeat the process
- Your goal is for the pudding to just pull together into a slightly thickened pudding. Now as you stir it, it will start to get thicker and thicker after you pull it out of the microwave.
- Actually, you could eat your pudding hot out of the microwave. However, it is just as delicious chilled, if you can wait for a little while before eating.
- To prevent a skin from forming on the top of your pudding, you must put a piece of plastic wrap directly over your pudding, so it is not exposed to air.
- We have put the vanilla in before the microwave process and after the microwaving and there was no change in taste if you use “real vanilla extract”. However, if using imitation vanilla extract, then we would add it after the microwaving process so that it does not change its flavor.
Our Favorite Toppings
We chose to keep it simple with a little homemade whipped coconut cream, However, you may want to try it with a few berries, pomegranate seeds on top or even some chopped nuts.
You can also make a parfait with your Easy Homemade Chocolate pudding. First put a layer of ground gingersnap cookies or graham cracker in a cup. Then, place a little dollop of chocolate pudding, a little dollop of coconut whipping cream, a little more pudding and a dollop of chocolate pudding with a little sprinkle of the ground gingerbread cookies on top.
Topping with sugared cranberries is also a nice touch around the holidays. Check out our Velvety Vegan Chocolate Mousse ,if you would like to try a mousse rather than a pudding. Both are decadent.
More Desserts that can be made in a Flash and no baking required
Chocolate Espresso Fig Balls (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and no added sugar)
No Bake Cranberry Bliss Balls (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and no added sugar)
Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly (gluten-free, dairy-free)
Matcha Red Bean Energy Balls (gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and no added sugar)
Homemade Rich Chocolate Pudding
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsps cornstarch
- 2 cups almond milk
or dairy of choice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla pure extract
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa and cornstarch. Whisk in almond milk a little at a time so that so you do not have any lumps. (no one likes lumpy pudding)
- Put it in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high. Stir, then cook at 1-minute intervals, stirring between cooking times for 2 to 4 minutes (or until shiny and thick). Stir in vanilla. (We cooked our pudding in the microwave for 4 minutes total.) Each microwave heats a little differently. Microwave a minute at a time and stir in between and be patient) Your goal is to have a pudding that is thick enough to be scooped on a spoon. After the initial 3 minutes in the microwave, you will need between 1-3 minutes to achieve this goal. Please note that your pudding will thicken slightly as it sits.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming, and chill in the refrigerator. (This is a very important step. Unlike the instant kind of pudding, the cooked kind of pudding will form a skin)
- Place your Easy Microwave Chocolate Pudding into individual cups and top with a little Homemade Coconut Cream or fruit and nuts as desired. Enjoy!
- Best enjoyed within 24 hours. Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 3 days then dispose.
Your goal is for the pudding to just pull together into a slightly thickened pudding. Now as you stir it, it will start to get thicker and thicker after you pull it out of the microwave. Actually, you could eat your pudding hot out of the microwave. However, it is just as delicious chilled, if you can wait for a little while before eating. Then this pudding is really delicious with a dollop of our Homemade Coconut Whipping Cream on top To prevent a skin from forming on the top of your pudding, you must put a piece of plastic wrap directly over your pudding, so it is not exposed to air. We have put the vanilla in before the microwave process and after the microwaving and there was no change in taste if you use “real vanilla extract”. However, if using imitation vanilla extract, then we would add it after the microwaving process so that it does not change its flavor.