Berry and Peach Pudding Tart has 3 layers with a dreamy homemade vanilla pudding, fresh berries and crispy puff pastry topped with icing sugar.
5 Delicious Reasons to Enjoy
- Can be made in under 45 minutes
- You can use any fresh fruits in season
- Crispy Puff pastry
- Smooth and creamy pudding
- Perfect for an afternoon tea. Be sure to try our Tranquil Lemon Ginger Tea
Oh my goodness, Hong Kong can be so frustrating sometimes. If you want to cook or bake something western, you can never find the ingredients you need. Unless you want to spend the whole day hopping from store to store getting what you need.
What does this all mean? It means that I am always looking at plan B and have to make everything from scratch. Is that a bad thing? Most likely not, as things are fresh and made with only ingredients that I can pronounce. That is a very good thing.
Needs to be Teenager Friendly: We have the most delightful neighbors that moved in across the hall and I wanted to bring over a little dish to share for a little afternoon tea that her children and my fussy teenagers would enjoy.
Must be Easy: Originally, I was just going to make an easy blueberry tart with puff pastry but could not find any lemons. Don't even get us started but now we are on plan B.
Berries and Cream? I had berries and puff pastry and my oven was preheating. Now if we just had some whipped topping, whipping cream or instant pudding in the house I could make a dessert in a flash. Not a drop of anything.
How to make Easy Homemade Vanilla Pudding
Have no fear, where there is a will there is a way. In just 15 minutes flat I made one of the most delicious vanilla pudding I have ever had with a few substitutions. Now the beauty of this recipe is that it is delightfully gluten-free and dairy free.
You could add any flavoring you like to change-up the flavors. For example maybe a little cinnamon, saffron, cardamom or maybe even a little amaretto liquor or even lemon flavoring... Thank you Argo Starch for your inspiration. If you would prefer to make an Easy Microwave Chocolate Pudding for the topping, that would be delicious too.
How to Make
I whipped up the pudding in the microwave in a flash and then spread into a big baking sheet and covered with a plastic wrap so it did not form a skin on top and cooled off really fast. In the meantime, I baked 3 "relatively" even rectangles of puff pastry and washed and cleaned my berries and sliced some fresh juicy peaches and tossed with a little granulated sugar.
Now for the assembly our Berry and Peach Pudding Tart. My boys helped me layer the puff pasty with a slathering of vanilla pudding and some fruit and repeat this process until the masterpiece was 3 layers high and topped off with just a little dusting of icing sugar. Oh my goodness, it was heavenly. I will certainly be making this again.
More Summer Desserts
Did You Like Our Recipe? Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. Your feedback is always appreciated! Follow us for more delicious recipes on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook! Don't forget to sign up for our email list for more free recipes.
Berry and Peach Pudding Tart
Easy Vanilla Pudding
- ⅔ cup sugar or sugar alternative
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups almond milk
or any dairy as desired
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 peaches
peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon
juice to prevent the peaches from oxidizing
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
or sugar alternative
- 1 tablespoon flour
to prevent the puff pasty dough from sticking
- 500 grams puff pastry dough -
- 1 tbsp powdered (icing) sugar
garnish - optional
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
or sugar alternative - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Remove puff pastry from freezer to unthaw-could take up to one hour at room temperature. (Mine unthawed while waiting for the bus in Hong Kong's stifling heat and humidity in 15 minutes)
- Make the pudding: Blend sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Whisk in almond milk and egg yolks until well blended. Microwave on HIGH power for about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir every 1 to 2 minutes until the pudding is thick and delicious or has boiled for at least 1 minute. (You can skip this whole step and swap out for instant pudding or the kind you find in the snack sacks for lunches)
- Step 2: Remove cooked pudding from microwave and stir in margarine/butter and vanilla or other flavorings as desired. Pour pudding into a bowl (or in a baking sheet and let the plastic wrap cover and touch the puddings top so that it does not form a skin and put in the freezer to expedite the cooling process.) Or place into the refrigerator until cool.
- Bake the puff pastry: I used a Jus-Rol unthawed but yet chilled puff pastry sheet. (Do not let you pastry dough get too warm/soft or it will fall apart and give you problems) I floured my working service lightly and rolled out my dough until it was about ⅛ inch thick and in the shape of a long rectangle. I then cut my large rectangle into 3 smaller even rectangles. Transfer your cut puff pastry rectangles onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Use your fork to puncture some holes in the dough to allow place for the steam to escape and to keep the dough from getting overly puffy. Brush your pastry with egg wash, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (This is an optional step) Bake for about about 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and set the puff pastry on a sheet/plate to cool.
- Place blueberries in a bowl and add one tablespoon of sugar or sugar alternative and stir. In another bowl place the peeled and sliced peaches into a bowl with a little squeeze of lemon to prevent the peaches from turning brown and about a tablespoon of sugar or sugar alternative. If your fruit is sweetened by the sun, you can skip the sugar step or use sugar alternative as desired. (Feel free to swap out for blackberries, strawberries, kiwi, jack fruit, mango, lychee or really any fruit your desire. However it works best with softer fruits that are easier to bite into.)
- Assembly: Set your first slice of baked cool puff pasty on a long dish. Slather a few heaping teaspoons full of vanilla pudding on top and spread. Add a layer of blueberries on top of the vanilla pudding. Add the second baked puff pastry sheet on top of the blueberries. Add another few teaspoons of vanilla pudding and spread. Add a layer of fresh peaches on top of the vanilla pudding. Add the final layer of baked puff pastry. Add a final layer of vanilla pudding and spread. On top, a final layer of raspberries and then finally a dusting with a little powdered (icing) sugar.
- Refrigerate until to ready to serve or up to 4 hours and serve. Enjoy!