Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly is a creamy decadent lightly sweetened Asian dessert made with warming spices of ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and anise in a coconut milk base topped with jeweled pomegranate seeds.
Low Carb Holiday Feast
You are just going to this little creamy dreamy little sweet treat. Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly is the perfect for sweet ending for our Asian Fusion Low Carb Holiday Feast. Be sure to try of Roasted Turmeric Spiced Turkey Breast, Garlicky Sesame Stir Fried Green Beans, Layered High Sesame Asian Salad and a side or started a Skinny Spaghetti Squash Roll Ups.
Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly is a light Holiday Dessert
Asian sweets are usually much less sweet than European treats so you can just adjust it to your level of sweetness. We also are watching our carbohydrates so we are using just a touch of sugar alternative, but if you are not then can exchange with rock sugar, brown sugar or even honey. In Season high in antioxidant pomegranates are the perfect jeweled ruby topping with a fun crunch for our holiday dessert.
Chai It, You Might Like it
Cardamom pods, Cinnamon sticks, anise seeds and fresh sliced ginger steep in creamy coconut milk for a delicious spicy warming spicy chai mixture. We made our spicy chai coconut jelly with unflavored gelatin but if you want to make it vegan you could add agar agar to make vegan. If you like the Chai Spice be sure to try our Easy Coconut Iced Chai Tea Latte and our Spicy Chocolate Chai Pu-erh Chia Pudding.
What is gelatin?
We used unflavored grass fed non-GMO beef gelatin to make our Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly. Unflavored gelatin is an odorless, tasteless and colorless thickening agent, which when dissolved in cold water, and heated and then cooled, forms a jelly. It is perfect for our Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly. We ordered ours online but you could also just us the Knox unflavored gelatin down the baking isle at your grocery store.
Health Benefits of Gelatin
Gelatin is a substance composted of amino acids that is derived from collagen. Gelatin can help with gut health. Gelatin can also be used for weight loss, strengthening bones, joints, and fingernails. Gelatin is also used for improving hair quality and to shorten recovery after exercise and sports-related injury. Some of these same great benefits are available by eating bone broth.
We love using whole and fresh spices and let them infuse into the coconut milk but you can also use ground dried spices as well. If you use ground dried spices you will be using less as they can be more potent and you will also need to stir them well in a little coconut milk before adding them to the whole pot so they do not clump up.
Make in Advance Dessert
This Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly needs to be made about 4 hours in advance so that it has time to jell up in the refrigerator. This makes the perfect make ahead dessert so that all you need to do is garnish with a little pomegranate or your favorite fruit just before serving to your guests.
Spicy Chai Coconut Jellies are the perfect sweet ending to our Asian Fusion Low Carb Holiday Feast.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly
- ½ cup Cold water
- 5 teaspoon Unflavored gelatin
(we used a grass fed non GMO unflavored beef gelatin or you could use Knox gelatin)
- 26 oz Coconut milk
- 8 Cardamom pods
- 4 sticks Cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole star Anise
- 2 inch Ginger
knob peeled and sliced
- 6 teaspoon Sugar
or sugar alternative of choice ( as we only like our delicately sweet, can also use honey, coconut sugar or brown sugar if not watching your carb intake) Taste test and add more if you like yours sweeter.
ground for garnish - optional
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish - optional
- In a small bowl add the cold water and unflavored gelatin, stir and set aside for 1 minute. Do not let it set to long as first it will turn into an applesauce consistency and then into solid. You want to work with it while it is in an applesauce consistency.
- In a sauce pan, add the coconut milk, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, anise seeds, ginger, sugar or sugar alternative and stir. Add the liquefied (applesauce consistency) gelatin to the spiced coconut milk and heat over medium heat for about 15 minutes until the essence of the spices are fragrant. Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking. (If you like the effect of cinnamon speckles in your dessert, sprinkle about ¼ teaspoon and stir well. Optional)
- Allow to cool. Poor into individual serving cups and refrigerate for about 4 hours. Your Spicy Chai Coconut Jelly will turn into a jello dessert.
- Just before serving garnish with pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!