Gluten-Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes are filled with aromatic cardamom, caramelized bananas and topped with seasonal mangoes, strawberries and drizzled with a little runny honey.
Why you are going to love Gluten-Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes
Oh yeah! You know you need these! Check out this huge stack of sweet and decadent pancakes. You crave it! Your body wants it! When you slice into this hearty stack of pancakes, you first taste is the caramelized bananas and cardamom, which is like a match made in heaven. These pancakes are so delicious all on their own that you do not even need any of the toppings.
However if you add seasonal fruit and a little runny honey, you just can’t stop at one pancake. As a matter or fact, 4 pancakes later, for quality assurances purposes only (wink, wink), I had to cut myself off so I could save room for lunch. You could always enjoy the gluten-free cardamom banana pancakes for brunch and a leisurely morning. If you are in the mood for pancakes, you are going to love our Healthy Vegan Matcha Pancakes.
For those of you that have been waking up to green healthy smoothies, this is your answer to your real body cravings but in a healthy way. These delicious gluten-free cardamom banana pancakes are also vegan, dairy free, and processed sugar-free.
Breakfast Idea for Mother’s Day or Father’s Day
Mothers day is around the corner and how delighted would she be to have this stunning dish served to her in bed with her favorite cuppa?!!! Dad’s and Kids, this is your chance to win mom’s heart with a mile high stack of gluten-free cardamom banana pancakes. If mom loves eggs, be sure to try our Italian Scrambled Eggs.
What is Cardamom?
Cardamom is spice sometimes also called Cardamon or Cardamum. It is shaped like a little triangular shape and inside they have the little black aromatic seeds that are going to take many of your dishes to the next level. Cardamom is slightly floral and calming.
It also has some of the same properties like ginger such as it helps with digestion and also has anti-inflammatory properties. I used a mortar and pestle to break up the shells and then removed the shells and then ground the little black seeds inside. You do not need to use whole cardamom freshly ground for your Gluten-Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes. You can also use pre-ground cardamom and it is just as nice.
Say Yes to Banana Pancakes
Many recipes include mashed bananas in pancake recipes. I decided to leave my bananas whole and just sliced them right before adding them to the top of the Gluten-Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes when they were cooking on the griddle. Something amazing happened! The bananas caramelized! It took these pancakes to the next level.
How to make Pancakes Gluten-Free
Gluten-Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes are made with gluten-free flour mix but that is not required, only if you want to keep this recipe gluten-free. Hey all you dad’s and kids, you could even use pre-made pancake mix and just add the cardamom and bananas for added flavor and I will not tell a soul. It is our little secret.
Vegan Egg Replacement
In order to make the Gluten-Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes vegan, I used the ground flax-seed and water to replace the eggs. The recipe for one egg replacement is 1 tablespoon of flax-seed and 3 tablespoons of water, stir and leave set for 3-5 minutes. Flax seed is a great addition and it gives heartiness to these pancakes and also adds a little fiber. Of course, feel free to substitute real eggs for the flax-seed recipe if you do not need to follow a vegan diet.
Tropical Flavors for the Win!
Another delicious addition to this recipe is coconut milk. Coconut milk and cardamom together are a match made in heaven. Blissful, I tell you! You can swap out for milk or milk alternatives of choice. A great attribute of this recipe is that it is very forgiving and exchange with whatever you have on hand.
What are the best fruits to put on top of your pancakes?
We are celebrating mango season here in Asia! The Philippine’ mangoes are so sweet and juicy. We are also loving the sweet and delicious strawberries. You can top your Gluten-Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes with whatever fruit is in season.
One thing that I do want to mention is that because this recipe is gluten-free it takes much longer to cook over low-medium heat compared an non-gluten-free recipe. It takes about 2-3 minutes on each side and maybe longer as it depends on your burner. So please be patient as the taste is well worth the wait. You can thank me later.
Have you tried our Blackberry and Lemon Drop Biscuits? Juicy blackberries in a delightful gluten-free, dairy free and egg free biscuit drizzled with sweet and sour lemon glaze.
More Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Apple Slices and Roasted Pumpkin Seed Butter
Gluten-Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
ground (or can exchange with one egg)
- 3 tbsp water
(omit is you use an egg instead of flax seeds)
- 1 cup Gluten-free all purpose flour mix
(or regular all purpose flour if you do not require gluten-free)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup coconut milk
(or milk or milk substitute of choice)
- 1 tbsp honey
and extra for topping (exchange with maple syrup to keep vegan)
- 1 banana
(remove peel and slice into thin slices just before ready to use)
- 1 mango
peeled and cut into small cubes (garnish- optional)
- 3 strawberries
washed and chopped into small squares (garnish- optional)
- margarine as required: dairy free margarine, butter, oil spray or even coconut oil to grease your griddle or frying pan
- In a small bowl, add ground flax seeds and water. Set aside for 3 minutes until it thickens to a consistency of an egg and stir. (If you want to use 1 egg instead, skip this step and proceed to step 2)
- In a medium bowl, add flax seed and water mixture, gluten-free all purpose flour, baking powder, ground cardamom, vanilla, coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of honey and mix well. Stir well to remove all the lumps from the batter.
- Grease your griddle or frying pan with non-stick agent of choice such as dairy free margarine, oil spray, etc. and heat to a low medium heat.
- Drop about 1/4 cup pancake mix for each pancake and add about 3 slices of banana on top of each pancake while they are on the griddle and slightly press down onto the pancake batter. Cook over low to medium heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Theses Gluten-free pancakes need lower heat to allow time for the pancake mix to cook. You will know when they are ready to turn when mostly all the bubbles have popped and also they are golden brown underneath. Gently turn over pancake and cook on the other side, banana side down for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stack the pancakes on top of each other and top with mango, strawberries and a little honey (or maple syrup). Enjoy!