Firecracker Grilled Shrimp are spicy, garlicky and a little zesty from the lime. Perfect as an appetizer or a less than 30-minute dinner or on top of a crisp salad.
Why You are going to Love Firecracker Grilled Shrimp
With a glass of wine in one hand and a skewer of Firecracker Grilled Shrimp, you have the recipe for the perfect gathering. You are going to love these crunchy perfectly grilled shrimps with the delightful spicy marinade. Drizzle on a little extra freshly squeezed lime juice and you are in heaven. The only question you may want to ask yourself is, “Why didn’t I try this recipe sooner”? If you love shrimp, you may also like to try our Summer Rolls with Chili-Lime Dipping Sauce.
Do you love hot and spicy?
Grilled shrimp marinated in Sriracha hot chili sauce is one of those perfect treats for the grill. Sriracha sauce has some punch to it but is more flavorful that just traditional hot sauce. If you do not have Sriracha hot chili sauce, you can feel free to exchange with your chili sauce of choice. Please note your will have to adjust amounts to your desired spice level.
If you like it spicy, add 2 tablespoons of chili sauce. On the other hand, if you like it only mildly spicy, add 1 tablespoon or less of sriracha sauce to your liking. Every person has their own personal desired flavor profile. Actually, because you serve Firecracker Shrimp on a bamboo stick, these would be a great as a football tailgating treat too. What do you think? If you are keen to serving fun appetizer food on a stick, be sure to try our World's Easiest Appetizer, Caprese Salad on a Stick.
An Oldie but Goodie
We originally made this recipe in October 2011 on the grill whilst looking over the China Sea. This recipe was adapted from the recipe on the back of the Sriracha hot chili sauce in Hong Kong. As directions were only in Chinese characters, the word "adapted" or maybe "vaguely" like it might be more like it. Thank goodness for the pictures.
Today, we are grilling our shrimp with a glass of wine in hand overlooking a beautiful garden, pond and lush greenery. Do you know what we have found out? It’s not the place that makes the difference. It’s the people you are with, your attitude and of course good food that makes the event a memorable one. That, my dear friend is the success to a happy gathering. We love preparing the whole meal outside, including the dessert. If you are in the grilling mood, you may enjoy our Grilled Nectarine and Coconut Cream for dessert.
How to Prepare Shrimp
If you plan to skewer your shrimp, soak your bamboo sticks in water for water for at least minutes. This prevents the bamboo sticks from burning while grilling.
If you have one of those cool grilling baskets that keep small food items from falling in the grill, you can just clean and prep your grill and grilling basket. You are good to go.
Make sure that you peel and devein your raw shrimp first. You can leave the shrimp tail on or off.
Do not use precooked shrimp for this recipe or otherwise it will be tough and rubbery and no wants a tough and rubbery shrimp. The effect you are going for is crunchy and juicy.
Allow your shrimp to marinate for about 15 minutes in the delicious spicy sriracha garlic sauce. Maximum up to one hour.
How to Grill Shrimp
Preheat your grill to medium heat about 350-450°F.
Grill the shrimp over direct, medium heat for about 4-5 minutes. Turn your shrimp over half way though the cooking process.
Your goal is that the shrimp should be pink with a few grill marks and the inside of the shrimp should be opaque and lightly white in color. Grilled shrimp should not look translucent.
Do Not Overcook your Shrimp
If you overcook your shrimp, they will be super white on the inside and no longer crunchy but rubbery.
Perfectly cooked shrimp with look like the letter “C”. Whereas, over cooked shrimp will look the letter “O”.
C = Cooked
O = Overcooked
Delicious Ways to serve your Firecracker Grilled Shrimp
Firecracker grilled shrimp are a great appetizer along with grilled shishito peppers. Come and learn How To Cook Shishito Peppers On The Grill. Allow your guests to munch on a few Spicy Garlic Cucumber Refrigerator Pickles or Gingered Red Onion Pickled Golden Beets and add a chilled glass of wine and you are sorted.
If serving your Firecracker Grilled Shrimp as a main be sure to add our Nutty Ginger Tamari Quinoa Salad , Favorite Provencal Ratatouille Recipe or Super Easy Grilled Asian Eggplant as a delicious side dish. It's a fabulous celebrate all of the deliciousness of the summer harvest. If you are going to be outside grilling, you might as well use the full surface area of the grill and makes some delicious nibbles.
Firecracker Grilled Shrimp
- Bamboo grilling sticks
- 1 pound shrimp
large (16 to 20 count) peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
hot chili sauce (adjust amount to your liking- this version is HOT so adjust as needed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
or low glycemic sugar alternative
- 4 cloves garlic
- Lime slices sliced - optional
- cilantro chopped - optional
- Place bamboo grilling sticks in water and soak submerged for at least 30 minutes (This step helps prevent the wood from burning) If you have a grilling basket, you can skip this step.
- Prepare your grill. Preheat to 350 -450 degrees F.
- Get the grilling chef a nice cold drink for one hand and get the tongs ready for the other.
- Peel and devein shrimp. You can leave the tail on or off, depending on your preference.
- Add shrimp, sriracha sauce, olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar or sugar alternative and garlic in a bowl. Toss well. Marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour. We marinated at room temperature so that the shrimp were ready for grill and will heat evenly. (If you need to hold the shrimp longer than 30 minutes, pop them in the refrigerator)
- Skewer shrimp onto bamboo stick and place approximately 3-5 shrimp on each stick depending on size of shrimp and bamboo stick. (Pierce head and bottom of shrimp on stick so the shrimp lays flat for grilling)
- Prepare the grill for cooking and set grill to 350 to 450 degrees F (176 C to 232 C). (If you do not have a grill you can use an indoor grill pan to get those nice little grill marks on the shrimp)
- Lay the firecracker shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for about 2- 3 minutes on each side until shrimp are opaque, slightly white inside and have nice grill marks. They should no longer be translucent.
- Garnish with a fresh squeeze of lime juice, lime slices and chopped cilantro, if desired. Invite your guests and family to join you to watch the sunset or to enjoy the last half of the football game. Firecracker Grilled Shrimp are delicious served with a chilled glass of Riesling or a Sauvignon Blanc.