Sink your teeth into a hearty grilled Mediterranean Veggie Wrap – perfect for a summer gathering. These easy vegetarian wrap sandwiches are loaded with grilled summer vegetables, gluten-free roasted red pepper hummus and all your favorite antipasto toppings. Serve this fun recipe buffet style. Let everyone add their own vegetables and toppings, and then grill the wraps to perfection.
How can something so healthy be this delicious? You are going to love that crispy fire roasted tortilla with the tender grilled vegetables and this ultimate creamy hummus. It’s everything your body has been craving. Serve alongside a make ahead Mediterranean Bean Salad or Heirloom Tomato Cucumber Salad for an easy summertime meal.
Dinner Party Entertainment Ideas
Gatherings are always more fun when mealtime is interactive. There is nothing like engaging your guests in the creative process to make their own unique veggie wrap with hummus – making them feel right at home.
Can you guess the best part about these type of dinner parties? You got that right! You can have everything prepared in advance so all you need to do is to enjoy your guests.
If you like the idea of grilling and chilling with family and friends, try our Middle Eastern Ground Lamb Kabobs. It’s a delicious interactive dinner party food theme.
In the winter and fall, enjoy a cozy Simple Spicy Thai Hot Pot or our Spicy Sichuan Hot Pot. Let your guests add all of their favorite healthy additions to the pot. Meanwhile, our Middle Eastern Party Feast is a fantastic vegan party food idea for any season.
Favorite Wrap Fillings & Ingredients
You are going to love that crispy wrap with the contrast of the tender grilled vegetables. The best part is you can add whatever healthy ingredients you enjoy. That said, we would not include vegetables that have excessive moisture, like tomatoes, as these may cause your wrap to tear.
Try some of these delicious antipasto Mediterranean vegetable ingredients to make simple and easy wraps.
- Zucchini (courgetti)
- Yellow squash
- Sweet bell peppers (capsicum)
- Eggplant (aubergine)
- Gluten-free roasted red pepper hummus
- Traditional Baba Ghanoush
- Fresh spinach, arugula (rocket) or fresh herbs of choice
- Mild pepperoncini’s
If you’re not vegan, try your favorite cheeses like feta, parmesan, or mozzarella. For protein, try grilled chicken or our Marinated Grilled Flank Steaks.
Leftovers are a budget friendly option and fantastic in these Mediterranean veggie wraps. Great way to use up those little bits and bobs in the refrigerator and make something delicious and new.
And many other ideas like fresh herbs make a nice addition to a veggie wrap platter.
Types of Tortilla Wraps
Can you guess how many different type of tortilla wraps there are? Back in the day, there was just 2 basic categories.
- Corn based tortillas
- Flour based tortillas
Now, we have everything under the sun to choose from. That is a very good thing as depending on what dietary need you have - there’s a wrap for that!
- Gluten-free wraps can be made with almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour and more.
- Vegan wraps and most are. Be sure to read the fine print as some can be made with lard.
- Low carb wraps or keto wraps – Are you are on a very strict low carb or diabetic diet? You can use lettuce or even an egg wrap, but these cannot be grilled.
- Spinach wraps
- Beet root wraps
And the list goes on. The calories in this veggie wrap are calculated using a low carb wrap and all the delicious additions and toppings.
The tortilla wraps serve as a transfer device to get all those delicious toppings into your mouth. We’ve had the best luck using flour (also gluten-free) wraps as they are less likely to tear. Corn based tortilla wraps can be used but they don’t roll as easily and have a higher tendency to crack during the roll up process.
How to Make
This is a general overview of how to make a Mediterranean Veggie Wrap. Please see the recipe card below for the detailed recipe.
- Slice your favorite vegetables and mushrooms. Prepare the marinade with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Marinate the softer mushrooms and vegetables like zucchini, yellow squash, onion slices and peppers for about 15 minutes. If you decide to cooker harder vegetables like cauliflower, they can be marinated overnight and take much longer to grill.
- Prepare and place other antipasto items like your sliced olives, artichokes, hummus, mild pepperoncini’s, fresh spinach, etc. in little bowls to serve. These can be covered and refrigerated overnight if desired.
- Grill marinated vegetables.
- Warm up tortillas so they are easier to roll up.
- Place your grilled vegetables and prepared antipasto Mediterranean toppings out buffet style.
- Allow everyone to fill their wrap with a dollop of hummus, grilled veggies, and toppings of choice. Use a little beaten egg to seal the edges and roll up like a burrito. Watch our video below to see how it is done.
- Brush the rolled wrap with a little olive oil on all sides and grill until toasty.
When the weather is nice, enjoy grilling your vegetarian tortilla wraps on either your outdoor barbeque or gas grill.
If Mother Nature is not cooperating, bring the party indoors. Plan B is to roast the veggies in the oven or air fryer. You can use either a grill pan, regular pan, or your air fryer to heat and crisp up the stuffed sandwich wraps.
- If you do not have a veggie grilling rack, slice your veggies thin but longer so they do not fall through the grates.
- Use burrito or large size tortilla wraps. The smaller ones are just way too small to roll up.
- Heat up your tortilla wraps in the microwave for just a few seconds. Warm tortilla wraps are easier to roll up. Keep your wraps covered so that they stay pliable.
- Slather on a thin layer of hummus or baba ghanoush before adding vegetables. This helps the vegetables stay in place while you are rolling the wrap up.
- Don’t overfill the wrap. I know it is so hard to not do that as you want everything, right? However, trust us. It is not a good idea. You will either have a difficult time rolling the tortilla into a burrito shape or you are going to tear your wrap. Been there - Done that!
- Don’t be using toothpicks to keep your wrap sandwich rolled. Instead use a little beaten egg or cornstarch paste to seal the edges.
- Keep your meal budget friendly using in season produce or vegetables from your garden.
- Make EXTRA! One growing boy ate FOUR Mediterranean Veggie Wraps! Yes 4!
Vegan Wrap Ideas
It is easy to keep the grilled tortilla wraps vegan. Try these quick and easy recipe hacks.
- Substitute egg wash with a cornstarch and water paste to seal the tortilla wrap. Place 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in with 1 tablespoons of water and stir. Use the cornstarch and water paste to seal the tortillas closed so they can be grilled.
- Read the label on the wraps package to make sure they do not include lard.
- Guests will assemble their own wrap so they can pick and choose what they desire. Even if the rest of your guests like to eat meat and cheese, these additions are optional.
Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Premade vegetable hummus wraps can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days (if making homemade hummus with raw garlic). If you are using store bought hummus, wraps can be stored for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. Please make sure your wraps are cool before storing them covered in the refrigerator. Alternatively, you can keep all the ingredients refrigerated separately in containers. Then, when you are ready for a quick meal just assemble and heat.
One of the best ways to reheat a premade grilled vegetable wrap is to air fry it at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C) for about 5 to 7 minutes. They are super crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Alternatively, you can use the toaster oven or bake your wraps at 350 degrees F (176 degrees C) for about 10 to 15 minutes or just until warmed through.
You can always start up the grill and reheat for about 3 minutes on low heat on each side or just until warmed through.
Out least favorite way to reheat a veggie wrap is in the microwave as they can get soggy.
More Grilled Vegetable Recipes
Did You Like Our Recipe? Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. Your feedback is always appreciated! Follow us for more delicious recipes on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook! Don't forget to sign up for our email list for more free recipes.
Mediterranean Veggie Wrap
Grilled Vegetables of Choice (These are just ideas - pick and choose your favorites)
- 1 medium zucchini
(courgette) sliced lengthwise about ¼ inch thick
- 1 bell pepper (capsicum)sliced lengthwise (we used a red bell pepper)
- 1 onion peeled and sliced into ¼ rings
- 1 medium eggplant (aubergine) We used an Asian eggplant sliced lengthwise about ¼ inch thick - optional
- 1 medium summer squash sliced lengthwise about ¼ inch thick - optional
- 4 mini portabella mushrooms sliced - optional
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
(dried basil, oregano, rosemary, dried garlic, dried red peppers)
- salt and pepper
- 6 large flour tortillas The big burrito or large sized tortillas. You can use low carb, gluten-free or any kind you desire.
- 1 egg beaten (if you want to keep it vegan, make a cornstarch and water paste in a 1:1 ratio)
- ¼ cup olive oil
Toppings (pick and choose your favorites - optional)
- 1 cup Gluten Free Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 cup spinach fresh
- 8 ounces artichokes
- olives sliced
- pepperoncini sliced
- 6 oz feta cheese or other cheese of choice
Recipe Tips Before you Start!
- 1) You can pick and choose the vegetables you want to grill. You can choose to include all or some of them listed. You can also choose other vegetables not listed but just remember that they may take either longer or a shorter time to cook on the grill. Don't choose tomatoes or they will make your wraps soggy. 2) Antipasto toppings are just ideas. Pick and choose your favorites. However, hummus in our opinion makes these wraps super delicious.
- Choose your favorite grilling vegetables. We choose sliced zucchini, bell pepper, onion, eggplant slices, summer squash slices and sliced mini portabella mushrooms and placed them in gallon sized plastic baggies. You may need 2 baggies to hold all of the vegetables. In a bowl add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, Italian Seasoning blend and salt and pepper. Mix well. Pour the balsamic vegetable marinade over the vegetables. Seal and shake to distribute marinade to all the vegetables. Allow vegetables to marinade for 10 to 15 minutes.Preheat your grill to a medium heat!
Prepare your Toppings
- In the meantime, gather and prepare all your supplies and place them in little bowls or dishes for the party so that your guests can make their own wrap sandwiches. We set out tortilla wraps, roasted red pepper hummus, sliced olives, quartered artichoke hearts, spinach, pepperoncini, feta cheese and an egg wash for sealing the wraps and olive oil for brushing the wrap before grilling. (These are just suggestions so add anything your little heart desires)
- Grill your marinated vegetables until fork tender (2 to 3 minutes per side) and have nice grill marks. Set you grilled vegetables out with your other topping to make your grilled Mediterranean Veggie Wraps.
Assemble your Wraps
- Microwave, for 30 seconds, your tortillas so they are warm and easier to fold. Keep them covered so they stay warm. Set your tortilla wrapper on plate or a clean counter and add your hummus, grilled vegetables and any toppings that your little heart desires. However, just be careful that you do not make it too full as then it becomes difficult to wrap up.Brush the outer ring around the tortilla with egg wash (or cornstarch paste) to help seal the edges. Fold up your wrap like a burrito. Start at one end. Fold up end over fillings. Fold in the sides to the center and then roll all the way up. You may need to add more egg wash at the end just to help the ends seal. Brush your wrap on all sides with a little olive oil.
- Grill the wrap for about 2 minutes on each side just until the cheese melts and you have nice grill marks on both sides.
- Enjoy while warm-hot off the grill.