Grilled Harvest Wraps are filled with seasonal grilled vegetables, homemade hummus and red pepper pesto and mozzarella cheese and grilled to perfection.
How many of you have overlooked some of the those summer zucchini (courgette) in your garden and now they could be used as floatation device? We see you over there, hiding behind that zucchini the size of a motor home. No worries, we have you covered.
We have an absolutely fabulous way to celebrate the end of harvest vegetables. We are going to have an "End of the Harvest Party" The fruits of your labours should be enjoyed while they are at their peak. Invite some friends as this is going to be fun.
Grilled harvest wraps are made with marinated grilled zucchini, eggplant, fresh tomatoes, balsamic onions topped with fresh buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil, marinated artichokes, rocket, hummus and red pepper pesto and wrapped in a garlic flat bread and then toasted lightly on the grill until the cheese melts.
However, it is always more fun when your party guests make their own so that is exactly what we did. We set out the prepared grilled vegetables, cheeses, hummus and red pepper pesto and all the fun toppings and let the guests build their own Grilled Harvest Wrap. Once our guests were done with the assembly, we seared their sandwiches long enough to get some grill marks and melt the cheese and let them enjoy. How fun is that?!?
Why you are going to love Grilled Harvest Wraps
There is something wonderful about biting into that crispy wrap and then tasting the freshness of the garden in each bite. Then as you pull away, the long string of delicious melted cheese is what really makes these sandwiches delightful. These sandwiches are the best way to enjoy the summer harvest. The vegetables are at their sweet peak. In addition, the weather is too nice to be stuck inside so grilling and chilling is the way to go.
I had a little gathering and laid out all of the ingredients in the kitchen and let everyone assemble their own wrap and then put them on the BBQ grill to toast. This is a very fun activity with only a little prep work and clean up is a snap. Each guests can make it just the way they like it with their choice of ingredients. The choice of ingredients is wide as your imagination and your garden or market potential.
Maybe, you would also like to add some grilled chicken or skirt steak to your choices for the meat eaters in the bunch. Maybe you would like to add some different assortment of cheeses like feta or grilled peppers or other veggies from your garden. I think you see where I am going with this, just add anything your little heart desires.
As you know, I am gluten-free girl so I swapped out gluten-free corn tortillas for the garlic flour tortillas. If your lactose intolerant, add hummus to your wrap to give it some extra protein instead of cheese.
My only suggestion is that you do not use really wet vegetables as they will make your sandwich soggy. If you want to use tomatoes, then use Roma sliced ultra thin or de-seed your juicy tomatoes before using.
I served my wraps along side a refreshing Thai Grilled Watermelon Salad. Another great side would be some sweet succulent sweet corn grilled on the BBQ with chilli lime butter.
Don't forget about a sweet ending to your delicious meal. If you already have the grill fired up, you might as well prepare some Grilled Nectarines with Coconut Cream. A little ending to a delicious meal.
Let send off summer with a big bang with a delightful end of the harvest grilled veggie wrap party. However, don't delay as there is still time if you want to sell those oversized zucchini to the coast guards to use as lifesaving devices.
More Delicious Grilling Recipes
Veggies in a Blanket with Red Pepper Pesto
Grilled Harvest Wraps
- 1 zucchini
(courgette) sliced on an angle about ½ inch thick
- 1 eggplant -
sliced on an angle about ½ inch thick -I used an Asian eggplant
- 2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
(dried basil, oregano, rosemary, dried garlic, dried red peppers)
- salt and pepper
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese
fresh cut into thin slices (also try feta, gouda, swiss, etc)
- ½ cup basil
fresh leaves ( washed and removed from stem)
- 8 oz artichokes
marinated in olive oil and herbs
- 1 cup rocket
- ½ cup 3-Minute Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- ½ cup Better than Store Bought Red Pepper Hummus
- 6 flour tortilla
can use low carb, gluten-free or any kind you desire
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Place your sliced zucchini and eggplant slices in a plastic baggie with olive oil, Tuscan seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Seal and shake to distribute marinade to all the vegetables. (If you want to add other veggies on the grill such as onions, bell peppers, etc, add them to the marinade.) Preheat your grill.
- Gather and prepare all your supplies and place them in little bowls or dishes for the party so that your guests can make their own wrap sandwiches. Set out slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, fresh basil leaves, marinated artichokes quartered, large handful of fresh rocket, 3-Minute Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, Better Than Store Bought Red Pepper Hummus and tortillas and egg and olive oil for brushing the wrap before grilling. (These are just suggestions so add anything your little heart desires)
- Grill your marinated zucchini, eggplant and other vegetables until fork tender and have nice grill marks. Set you grilled vegetables out with your other topping for your grilled harvest wraps.
- Assemble your wraps. Microwave, for 15 seconds, your tortillas so that it is warm and easier to fold. Set your wrap on plate or a clean counter and add your hummus, red pepper caramelized onion pesto, toasted vegetables, cheese, artichokes, fresh herbs, rocket and really anything your little heart desires. However, just be careful that you do not make it too full as then it becomes difficult to wrap up. Brush the outer ring around the tortilla with egg wash to help seal the edges. Fold up your wrap like a burrito. Start at one end and fold up end over fillings. Fold in the sides to the centre and then roll all the way up. You may need to add more egg wash at the end just to help the ends seal. Brush your wrap on all sides with a little olive oil.
- Grill the wrap for about 2 minutes on each side just until the cheese melts and you have nice grill marks on both sides.
- Enjoy while warm-hot off the grill.