Autumn kale salad is a delicious crunchy healthy salad with radishes, dates, high protein edamame beans and toasted almonds with a zippy Citrus ginger jalapeno maple dressing.
Seriously, you need this salad! You know how sometimes your body just craves healthy…but your taste buds want something more. This Autumn Kale Salad has just what you need to balance the healthy with a lip smacking dressing that will have you going back for seconds and thirds.
You are just going to love this Autumn Kale Salad because it helps clean out refrigerators, has great textures, is a fabulous Turkey Day side dish and is warming and therapeutic.
Clean out the refrigerator:
You can add any vegetable you would like in this Autumn kale salad. We just looked in the refrigerator to do a little clean out. Radishes, edamame beans, dates, limes and jalapeños were in the crisper and ready to be used. Some delicious baked pumpkin, kabocha squash or acorn squash would also go well here. Feel free to try roasted pumpkin seeds, pecans or even sunflower seeds. How about some thin carrot slices? You see where we are going here. Open your refrigerator. See what you have. Put it in your salad. You can’t go wrong. We love dried medjool dates as they are so nourishing but how about some Chinese red dates or maybe some dried cranberries. You could even add chopped apples or pears but be sure to add a little squeeze of citrus straight away as they can oxidize and brown.
What our family loves most about this autumn kale salad is all of the great textures. You have the crisp kale leaves, crunchy almonds and chewy dates. It is alike a party going on in your mouth.
How beautiful would this Autumn Kale Salad be on a Thanksgiving dinner table with all of the other fixings!?! After all, you need to balance out all of that Turkey with something green.
Kale is one super nutritious green vegetable with loads of antioxidants and minerals and is relatively easy on the pocket-book. As we transition from warm weather to cooler weather, we need a dish that can get us there without too much shock on the system. Integrating warming ginger and jalapeños is a great way to heat up this salad. In addition, dates and Kale are warming foods in Chinese medicine.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) does not believe in eating very cold or raw foods. TCM is build on the theory that the body must use a lot of extra energy to heat the body to digest the food. If a person already has a weakened spleen qi then they cannot digest the food properly. Please take a moment to read Feed Your Spleen: Nourish your Body to learn more about this.
With this delicious Autumn Kale Salad the process of massaging your kale (with olive oil and salt) prepares it in a way that make it much easier to digest. In addition, I love to serve this salad at room temperature so it is less a shock on the system. As you can see from the picture below, you need to cut out the tough stem from the kale leaves. Once you massage the kale leaves with a little olive oil and salt they change from the pale light green blue color to a vibrant forest green color.
We hope you enjoy this delicious and nutritious Autumn Kale Salad.
Have you tried some of our other Autumn salads?
Autumn Kale Salad
Autumn Kale Salad
- Kale - 1 bundle (vein removed and leaves chopped finely)
- olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- dates - 1/2 cup roughly chopped
- radishes - 5 radishes sliced thin and julienned
- edamame beans - 1/2 cup
- almonds - 1/4 cup toasted and chopped
Citrus Ginger Jalapeno Maple Dressing
- lime juice - 1.5 limes (juiced)
- maple syrup - 1 tablespoon
- ginger - 1 inch knob grated- fresh
- jalapeno - 1 chopped finely
- pepper - to taste
- Wash and remove stem fro kale. Chop kale leaves.
- Add olive oil and salt to the kale and massage between your fingers for about 3 minutes or until the leaves start to turn from a light green to a deep dark forest green.
- Add dates, radish and edamame beans to salad. (Don't add the almonds until ready to serve)
- Make the Citrus Ginger Jalapeno Maple Dressing: Add the lime juice, ginger, maple syrup and jalapeno to a bowl. Whisk well and then add salt and pepper to taste. Add the dressing and almonds to the Autumn Kale Salad. Toss well.
- Enjoy! (Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours with dressing one. Don't add the almonds until you are ready to serve so they stay crunchy)