Warm spiced apple cider steeped with whole star anise, cinnamon, citrus and apples for a quick and easy cozy fall drink.
Warm Spiced Apple Cider
There is nothing better than wrapping your cold little fingers around a mug of hot spiced apple cider to put a smile on your face. Naturally sweet with a little tongue numbing anise and warming cinnamon is just what you need to thaw out from the cooler weather. If you are out there this weekend raking the leaves, my deepest sympathies…however, I can offer you a delicious mug of warm spiced apple cider to distract you from the joys of home maintenance.
You can make our apple cider in less than 30 minutes on top of the stove or in the slow cooker. As a perk, brewing a pot of this delicious spiced cider makes your whole house smell amazing. This beverage is happily gluten-free, vegan and dairy free.
Do Not Boil the Cider!
I made a delicious huge pot of warm spiced apple cider the other day for a gathering and it was a big hit. It is very important that you just steep or simmer the cider and DO NOT boil it. If you boil the spiced cider with the citrus rinds in the pot it will take on a sour taste and you want a want spiced sweet drink instead.
Help Make Fall Leaf Cleanup More Tolerable
I actually had to use apple juice instead of apple cider as you cannot apple cider anywhere here in Hong Kong. I used a mixture of granny and gala apples and oranges in this drink. I also had on standby a bottle of Captain Morgans Rum with the warmed spiced apple cider, just in case the adults on the “fall leaf removal and clean up team” are starting to whine and complain or maybe you need a little something special over the holidays.
The other day a dear sweet Healthy World Cuisine fan, Jim, contacted me to let me know that due to a bad storm he had an apple inventory surplus and needed some apple ideas. It looks like I am going to have to come up with few apple ideas to help him get sorted. (Thanks Jim for this beautiful fall photo)
This mug of toasty warm spiced apple cider is for you my friends.
Delicious Autumn Treats to go with your Cider
Warm Spiced Apple Cider
- 8 apple juice or cider (I used apple juice as cider is not available in Hong Kong but apple cider is even BETTER)
- 3 apples
washed, core removed and sliced with peel on (I used granny smith and gala apples as that is what I had at home)
- 1 orange cut into slices
- 3 sticks cinnamon or 1 teaspoon dried ground
- 4 whole star anise
or can use 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spiced powder
optional (If you like yours a little more sweet then add 1-2 teaspoons but I found it was delicious without) Use Bee-Free Honey to keep vegan!
- rum optional (if the adults in your crew are starting to whine about weekend leaf removal add as needed)
- In a medium large pot, add your apple juice or apple cider, sliced apples, orange slices, cinnamon, star anise and simmer for about 15-20 minutes over low medium heat. Do not boil, just simmer until toasty warm and the spices have a chance to mingle. (If you like your warm spiced apple cider a little more sweet, add just a little touch of honey 1-2 teaspoons to taste.) You can also do this in a slow cooker and put on very low heat for shortest time.
- Serve your delicious warm spiced apple cider in a mug and enjoy! (Adults Only: If the fall leaf clean up duty is becoming a bore or if you want something a little extra special over the holidays add a shot of Captain Morgans Spiced Rum just after you pour into your mugs and enjoy!)