Vegetable Tofu Ricotta Lasagna is one amazing low fuss dish packed with spring veggies of choice, tofu ricotta and herbs.
Vegan Lasagna that Carnivores Love
Are you looking for a dairy free, gluten-free, vegan, delicious dish to pass this Mother’s Day? There is no need to look any further as this vegetable Tofu Ricotta Lasagna ticks all the boxes.
In all seriousness, when hungry carnivore’s eaters come back for seconds and then even tries to eat your portion, you know this recipe is a home run!
We must admit that we were quite skeptical of this whole “TOFU RICOTTA” thing. However, with all the herbs, vegetables and seasonings mixed in, it is the perfect fix for all of us dairy sensitive ones out there.
The beauty of this recipe is you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand. We used spinach and carrot as that is what we had in our crisper. Use whatever you have on hand like zucchini, eggplant, spring peas, mushrooms (not a vegetable, but you get the idea) and the list goes on and on.
We took a few time saving steps in the kitchen and they included; using a food processor to blitz our vegetables, used pre-made marinara sauce and no boil gluten-free noodles. Mother Nature had a 2-hour window of sunshine and we did not want to miss one little minute of it.
This vegetable tofu ricotta lasagna recipe makes an 8 x 8 pan of vegetable tofu ricotta lasagna. This is enough for 2 very hungry adults or 4 adults with a nice tossed salad on the side.
Helpful hints when making Vegetable Tofu Ricotta Lasagna
- If you are using any green leafy vegetables like spinach, make sure you squeeze out all the extra liquid before adding it to the tofu ricotta.
- Use FIRM tofu and NOT silken tofu.
- If using other vegetable make sure you sauté them for just a few minutes to allow any juices to evaporate.
- Using NO BOIL Gluten-free or regular lasagna noodles (if you are not gluten sensitive) takes off about 15 minutes off kitchen time.
Vegetable Tofu Ricotta Lasagna
- Oil spray
- 1 carrot
- ½ onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 14 oz tofu
- 12 oz spinach
previously frozen, thawed and squeezed dry
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
optional and to taste
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 8 lasagna noodles no-boil gluten-free
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 Celsius) and spray 8 x 8 pan with oil spray.
- Use food processor and grate carrot, onion and garlic
- Add olive oil to pan and saute grated carrot, onion and garlic for about 3-4 minutes or until no liquids remain. Set aside to cool.
- Add the firm tofu to the food processor, squeeze dried spinach, salt and pepper to taste, Italian seasoning, cooled sautéed carrot, onion and garlic vegetable mixture, and a dash of red pepper flakes, if desired. Process just until well mixed.
- Assemble the Vegetable Tofu Ricotta Lasagna. Spread a few tablespoons of basil marinara sauce on the bottom of the 8 x 8 baking pan. Place 2 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Dollop ⅓ of the tofu ricotta mixture on top of the raw no-boil gluten-free lasagna noodles. Add a nice layer of basil ricotta sauce over to cover the tofu vegetable ricotta mixture. Then layer on another layer of lasagna noodles and repeat the layers so you have a total of 4 layers of lasagna noodles and 3 layers of tofu vegetable ricotta mixture. End with the final layer of gluten-free lasagna noodles and a nice layer of sauce on top. (if desired, you can reserve a tablespoon of tofu vegetable ricotta to garnish)
- Cover lasagna with aluminum foil and bake covered for 45-60 minutes or until lasagna noodles are aldente or cut easily with knife.
- Cool lasagna in pan for at least 20 minutes and serve with a nice tossed salad. Enjoy!