Saucy Sausage Pasta is a delicious dish of gluten-free fusilli pasta tossed with a delightful homemade simple sun-dried tomato pesto, Italian sausages, basil, spinach and fresh tomato sauce.
Saucy Sausage Pasta the Less than 30 Minute Easy Weeknight Dinner
Saucy Sausage Pasta is savory, saucy, filled with nutritious spinach and bursting with tiny little Malaysian cherry tomatoes. You are just going to love this dish as I made it gluten-free, dairy free and it could be easily made vegan by swapping out the Italian sausage with mushrooms.
Saucy Sausage Pasta is the kind of dish that even after you are full you still can’t get enough of those delicious flavors so you keep going back for just a little more… and then just a little more.
How to make Vegan Sun- Dried Tomato Pesto
Our 3-Minute Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto is super easy to make just add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil, red chili flakes and a little salt and pepper to taste in blend in your food processor and in 5 minutes you have an awesome flavorful and slightly spicy sun-dried tomato pesto. I use a little water instead of adding more olive oil to thin out enough to mix in the food processor, to save on a few calories. You can add parmesan cheese by all means do, but if your dairy intolerant like me just hold. The added spice from the chili peppers makes the sauce addicting.
Dairy-free for me but of course my boys like a little grated parmesan cheese on top for good measure.
This sun-dried tomato pesto is so good I could just eat by the spoonful. Instead, I doubled the sun-dried tomato pesto recipe and used on top of omelets, grilled chicken breasts and even with stir fried vegetables.
I used frozen spinach… yes you bet. Frozen spinach is great as it one of those items I would consider a frozen “pantry item” as at a moments notice you can make a fresh and delicious dish in no time. If you had fresh spinach on hand, that would even be more amazing.
Fusilli pasta shape is a great pasta to hold on to sauces as the sauces and aromatics clink to each one of the spirals. However, whatever shape pasta you have on hand will work like a charm.
Are you ready to make a 30 minute easy saucy sausage pasta recipe your whole family will love?
More Delicious Less than 30 Minute Pasta Recipes
Saucy Sausage Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
(or can exchange for mushrooms to keep vegan)
- 1 pound pasta
dried fusilli (gluten-free or your pasta of choice)
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup spinach
(frozen thawed and squeezed dry)
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- basil to garnish (optional)
- Cook the Italian sausages in a large frying pan on top of the stove in a little olive oil and brown on all sides then add about 1/4 cup water and put the lid on and cook for about 15 minutes or until the sausages are no longer pink in the middle. Set aside. (Do NOT wash your pan that you just cooked the Italian sausages in as that is going to add some delicious added flavor to your pasta dish)
- Cook pasta according to box directions about 7-10 minutes in plenty of slated water. Drain, set aside and keep warm and toss in a little olive oil to prevent them from sticking.
- While your sausage and pasta are cooking, make your 3 - Minute Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto. See link above for recipe. (If you are running low on time and energy, you can purchase pre-made sun-dried tomato pesto and I won't tell a soul. However if you are dairy or lactose intolerant, your cannot use store bought as it is usually made with parmesan cheese. )
- Cut your sausage about 1/2 inch thick and toss back into the the same frying pan with your pasta, sun-dried tomato pesto, spinach, tomatoes and pasta water and toss until all of the pasta is coated with the delicious sun-dried tomato pesto sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh basil as desired and freshly grated parmesan cheese unless you are lactose/dairy intolerant. Enjoy!