- 3 cups flour (plus a little more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter or shortening
Step 8: Make the Spiced pumpkin and date Empanada filling- Recipe below.
Empanadas Spiced Pumpkin and Date Filling Recipe:
- 15 oz of canned pumpkin puree (or homemade baked pumpkin)
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice (recipe above)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 dried pitted dates (puree in blender)
- 8 dried figs (soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and puree in blender)- Optional
- 2 tablespoons of honey (or other sugar substitute such as stevia, agave, sweet and low, etc)
- 2 tablespoons of light soy creamer (feel free to use regular or full cream if you like)
Step 1: Mix pumpkin, pumpkin spice, salt, puree dates and figs, honey and creamer together in a bowl until well incorporated.