Nostalgic Lemony Lemon Cake is a bright and intensely citrus moist cake drizzled with a little citrus glaze.
Have you ever taken a bite out of a dish and you feel like you have been teleported back in time?
Everyone has a special dish or memory that when they close their eyes and taste the food, for just a moment, they forget where they are and feel like they have transcended time. For many, these foods bring back a feeling of nostalgia or maybe brings a memory of your childhood.
Maybe one sip of a root beer float, takes you back into time of your parents taking care of you after you had your tonsils removed. Maybe a bite of your grandmas special dish, reminds you of family gatherings during the holidays. It might even make you home sick or miss the people you have lost and are dear to you. Food is much more than just nourishment for our bodies but it also nourishes our souls. Certain dishes to certain individuals can carry a very strong emotional response and memories.
Nostalgic Lemony Lemon Cake is the BEST Birthday cake
In my particular case, Lemony Lemon Cake is my nostalgic delight with fond memories. When I was a very little girl, maybe around 4 years old, my best friends grandma (Mimi) made me a lemony lemon cake for my birthday. I remember that day vividly as I was dressed in a fancy dress and had 4 big candles in my cake with everyone gathered around singing the birthday song.
Mimi was very special to me and the fact that she made her special lemony lemon cake was divine. One bite into the super moist sweet and a bit sour cake and I was hooked for life. This cake does not even have traditional frosting and sprinkles like most kids like but it makes up for it in its zest and moistness.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
Nostalgic Lemony Lemon Cake
- 15.25 oz lemon cake mix
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup oil
- 3 oz lemon jello
small size (dry granules)
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 cups powdered (icing) sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease and flour a 9 x 11 baking pan
- Mix lemon cake mix, eggs, oil, lemon jello dry ingredient and orange juice together.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in oven for about 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake, prick top of cake with fork (so that icing can penetrate the cake)
- Mix powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl until smooth. Pour glaze over cake.
- Let cake set for 10- 15 minutes until glaze sets (if your kids will let you wait that long) and serve. Let the nostalgia begin.....