Icebox Lavender Lemon Angel Food Cake is light dessert with a lavender Meyer lemon honey dairy free topping between 3 layers of angel food cake. This almost homemade no bake refrigerator cake is a show stopper spring dessert topped with candied lemons.
Lemon and lavender together create a calming, bright flavor that is delicious in our healthy lemon lavender chia seed pudding and in this light and fluffy Meyer lemon icebox cake. The citrusy tartness of lemon complements the floral notes of lavender making you feel calm and restful like you spent a day in the spa.
One delicious bite and you will be tasting a little bit of heaven. Whipped coconut cream is flavored with our Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices glaze that has been infused with culinary lavender. Stacked between 3 layers of pre-made angel food cake and garnished with Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices and fresh lavender. A calming and dainty cake pretty for showers, Mother’s Day, Easter or any day you want a special treat.
- Homemade Coconut Whipped Cream or whipped topping if no dairy issues
- Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices Lavender glaze
- Lemon zest of 1 lemon either a Meyer or regular lemon
- Angel food cake loaf pan size loaf
Step by Step: Easiest Cake Ever
- Make the lavender honey
- Cut the angel food cake
- Sweeten the coconut cream with the lavender honey
- Slather a layer of fluffy lavender honey coconut cream between each slice of cake
- Garnish with candied lemons
- Refrigerate icebox cake
Refrigerator cake - ALMOST Homemade
We have a little secret to share… We did not bake the angel food cake, but our local grocery store makes the most delicious 10-ounce angel food cake loaves. If you are looking for a stunning cake but have zero time, this is the perfect recipe for you. In less than 30 minutes, you can have a delicious decked out cake ready to share.
We are not a stranger to almost homemade desserts that save time. Just like our lemon poke cake this lemon icebox cake has all the zing without all the hours slaving in the kitchen.
3 Icebox Cake Options
- Bake your own angel food cake from scratch.
- Create your own lavender lemon honey coconut cream or whipped topping from scratch
- Make your own Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices
- Buy a pre-made angel food cake
- Whip up your own lavender lemon honey coconut cream or whipped topping from scratch
- Make your own Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices
- Buy a pre-made angel food cake
- Purchase a tub of cool whip and add in lemon zest, lemon juice, honey and culinary lavender essential oil or ground fresh lavender
- Garnish with fresh lemon slices and fresh or dried lavender sprigs
What option would you like to try?
We chose to go with option number 2. However, if you love to bake and have the time, then by all means make an angel food cake from scratch and go with option 1. Do you only have about 15 minutes to whip up a fabulous dessert? Then go with option 3. If you have 30 minutes and want to impress your guests or family, then go with option 2.
All 3 dessert options are delicious but making your own Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices takes this cake to the next level. You can make these candied lemons in just 15 minutes while you are prepping the rest of your ingredients.
Dairy and us are NOT the best of friends. How about you? We have found we just feel so much better excluding dairy from our diet and it is really easy to do. These steps will help you make the perfect Homemade Coconut Whipped Cream. When sweetened with a little our Lavender lemon honey glaze- its sublime.
Coconut whipped cream is delightful in so many desserts like our Velvety Vegan Chocolate Mousse and as a topping to grilled nectarines. If you have tummy troubles with dairy, be sure to use regular dairy whipping cream or even make your own fresh from whipping cream.
Culinary Lavender vs Lavender Essential Oil
Have you ever been to a lavender field? The aroma is so relaxing and restful. Last year we visited a lavender farm and purchased enough culinary lavender to dry and use through the year.
Do you remember our recipe for Lemon Lavender Goat Cheese Spread? Lavender is such a lovely ingredient as it is slightly sweet and floral and helps ease nervousness and tension. We put a few springs in our Honey Candied Lemon Slice glaze to infuse and add a delicate floral and citrus essence. We also used a few dried culinary sprigs to garnish our Meyer lemon layered cake. It is so pretty.
However, you can also use a few drops of “dietary” lavender essential oil in your coconut whipping cream too. (Just make sure you choose a dietary essential oil that is safe for consumption.) Both options work well.
Meyers Lemons vs Regular Lemons
Meyer lemons are in season from late January to around April, but regular lemons are beautiful all year around and are delicious and refreshing in this recipe. Meyer lemons are slightly sweeter than a regular lemon. In addition, their skin is a little more orange in hue vs a lemon which is bright yellow.
The zest of 1 lemon and 3 tablespoons of our honey lavender lemon glaze was used to sweeten our whipped coconut cream.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
Did You Like Our Recipe? Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. Your feedback is always appreciated! Follow us for more delicious recipes on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook! Don't forget to sign up for our email list for more free recipes.
Icebox Lavender Lemon Angel Food Cake
- 2 cups Homemade Coconut Whipped Cream or whipped topping if no dairy issues
- 3 tablespoon Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices Lavender glaze
3 tablespoons (or 3 tablespoons honey mixed with 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice and 4 drops of dietary lavender essential oil or 1 teaspoon ground dried culinary lavender) Recipe for Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices Lavender glaze-
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest of 1 lemon (we used a Meyer lemon, but you can use a regular lemon too)
- 10 oz Angel food cake
loaf pan size loaf
- Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices and fresh lavender sprigs. (You can also use fresh lemons instead, if you are short on time)
- Make coconut whipping cream – place your cans of coconut cream in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours in advance. 15 minutes before making your coconut whipping cream place your whipping bowl and beaters in the freezer to get them really cold.
- Remove your coconut cream cans from the refrigerator and turn them upside down. Open your cans. Pour the liquid coconut water into a glass or bowl and set aside for later use. Scoop about 2 cups of the hardened coconut cream and place into your pre-chilled mixing bowl. Mix on low to start to get well combined and fluffy. Next add your Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices Lavender glaze – 3 tablespoons (or 3 tablespoons honey mixed with 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice and 4 drops of dietary lavender essential oil or 1 teaspoon ground dried culinary lavender), Meyer lemon or regular lemon zest and mix well. Do not over mix or it will turn to butter. We added about 2 tablespoons of the remaining coconut water we had set aside to get it to that creamy dollop texture we like. (the remaining leftover coconut water is fabulous in smoothies, beverages and for thinning curries). Set aside. (FYI- 'Feel free to use regular dairy whipping cream if you are not lactose intolerant)
- Prepare the cake – Slice your angel food loaf cake into 3 horizontal slices. Place ⅓ of the Honey Lemon Lavender whipped coconut cream on top of the bottom layer of the prepared angel food cake and spread evenly. Place another slice of your angel food cake on top of the Honey Lemon Lavender whipped coconut cream. Repeat the process for a total of 3 layers. The top and final layer should have a lovely dollop of Honey Lemon Lavender whipped coconut cream.
- Garnish your cake – top your Icebox Lavender Lemon Angel Food Cake with Honey Candied Meyer Lemon Slices and sprigs of dried or fresh lavender. Refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flavors mingle or eat immediately and Enjoy! Recipe: https://www.hwcmagazine.com/recipe/honey-candied-meyer-lemon-slices/