Heirloom Tomato Cucumber Salad is a bright and lively side dish with just a handful of fresh garden ingredients.
You are just going to love this Heirloom Tomato Cucumber Salad as it pairs with anything grilled and is bursting with summer’s best harvest ingredients. Farmers markets and your gardens are bursting with sun-kissed tomatoes, cucumbers and basil. With ingredients, this fresh and delicious little effort is needed to make this dish shine.
The secret to make Heirloom Tomato Cucumber Salad super delicious is to marinate the onions for at least 15 minutes or up to one hour with a little red wine vinegar, before adding them to the salad. When you marinade the onions in vinegar it removes the STRONG onion flavor and replaces with a delightfully sweet pickled flavor. You need to marinate your onions for at least 15 minutes or up to an hour to get the best effect. We have also found that using red onions or sweet Vidalia onions are better for eating raw than white onions as they are less strong.
We do not like to marinate the tomatoes and cucumbers too long in the dressing and salt as it makes the veggies limp. No one likes limp veggies… If you want to make your salad prep several hours in advance you can cut up your tomatoes and cucumbers and place in one bowl and marinate your onions with the other ingredients in a separate bowl and then just mix shortly before serving.
Heirloom tomatoes are just gorgeous and sweet and just sing with a little seasoning in this recipe. We used an assortment and different colors and types of tomatoes from the market. You can use any type of tomatoes your little heart desires.
This upcoming Labor Day holiday is the perfect time to make this Farmer’s Market Heirloom Tomato Cucumber Salad for your potluck. Super Easy and only a handful of ingredients.
More Fresh Salad Recipes
Heirloom Tomato Cucumber Salad
- ½ red onion
peeled and cut into half-moons
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 cups Heirloom tomatoes assorted (larger tomatoes cut in half moons and small cherry tomatoes cut in half)
- 2 Cucumber
medium peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
or mixture of dried (basil, oregano and thyme)
- ¼ cup Basil leaves fresh chopped (optional)
- In a medium bowl add your onions and red wine, toss and marinate at room temperature for at least 15 minutes or up to one hour.
- Add to your marinating onions, your heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil, salt and pepper, dried Italian seasoning and fresh basil. Toss well. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.