Decadent Sesame Pie Swirl Cookies are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. To save time, we used store bough pie crust to make this easy pinwheel cookie is just 30 minutes. The perfect teatime treat to celebrate Chinese New Year. Sweet nutty roasted black sesame seed paste is rolled up in pre-made pie crust and dipped in toasted sesame seeds.
Chinese New Year Cookie
How would you like to have a delicious cookie on your table in less than 30 minutes?
I thought you might like that. Not only are these swirl cookies recipe a breeze to make, they are only lightly sweet.
Black Sesame Desserts
Have you ever tried black sesame seeds in a dessert? That nutty rich flavor is so delicious. We have been enjoying our gluten-free chewy black sesame cookies, baked black sesame mochi donuts and hot black sesame cereal.
Chinese New Year Festivities
Chinese New Year is right around the corner and is one of the biggest holidays here in Asia. In Hong Kong, there is a hustle and bustle in the air. Everyone is heading to the flower markets to decorate their homes. Putting up Fa Chun (which are little red wave signs) bring good luck and fortune to your home in the new year.
Many are going to the temples to predict their fortune and meditate. Everyone is busy cleaning, organizing and buying their ingredients to make some delicious treats. Check out our post on VRAI Magazine to learn more about some of the traditions, customs and foods celebrated in Chinese New Year.
One of my favorite ways of celebrating Chinese New Year here in Hong Kong is to view the fireworks. We also enjoy having friends over to enjoy tranquil lemon ginger tea and little sweet and savory treats and biscuits. How beautiful would these sesame pie swirl cookies look on your cookie platter?! Be sure to check our our 10 Fun and Easy Chinese New Year Recipes for more inspiration.
Symbol of Prosperity
Most often the little treats that shared during Chinese New Year celebration are deep fried. Although very delicious, I wanted to make something baked and only delicately sweet. Sesame seeds, especially black sesame seeds, are thought to bring prosperity in the New Year. These sesame pinwheel cookies are sure to be a favorite.
- Pre-made refrigerated pie dough. There are also gluten free options on the market too. Black sesame seed paste
- Brown sugar or sugar alternative of choice
- egg - so that the sesame seeds stick
- toasted sesame seeds
How to Assemble
- First, brush a very thin layered of lightly sweetened black sesame seed or tahini paste onto the pre-made pie dough.
- Next, roll it up. Cut the pinwheel cookies horizontally.
- Dip the cookie into toasted sesame seeds.
- Finally bake and you are done! How easy is that? No real measuring or slaving in the kitchen, just a quick and easy cookie recipe.
How to Make Black Sesame Seed Paste
Both black sesame paste (roasted ground whole black sesame) and tahini paste (white sesame seed paste) are delicious inside the Sesame Spiral Sesame Rolls. It gives you some different options no matter where you are in the world.
If you are interested in making your own Black Sesame Seed Paste, Nami-san explains this well. You can purchase pre-made sesame seed paste from Asian Food markets, specialty stores and even on Amazon.
Health Benefits of Sesame Seeds
Black sesame seeds (hei zhī ma) are high in calcium, magnesium, protein, and fiber. In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), black sesame seeds are used to treat many ailments of the kidneys, liver and spleen. Black sesame seeds are thought to reverse some of the aging process. They are good for the hair. In addition, they are thought to restore blood and essential qi to the kidneys. If you like sesame seeds, be sure to try our Hot Black Sesame Cereal.
Tahini (ground hulled white sesame seed paste) is available in many places around the world. Actually any type of nut butter such as peanut, walnut, roasted pumpkin seed butter, or almond can be used.
You are going to love the nutty toasty flavor of these Black Sesame Paste Cookies!
Xin Nian Kuai Le! (新年快乐.)
Gong Hei Fat Choy!
More Chinese Desserts
Did You Like Our Recipe? Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. Your feedback is always appreciated! Follow us for more delicious recipes on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook! Don't forget to sign up for our email list for more free recipes.
Sesame Spiral Pie Cookies
- 6 tablespoon black sesame paste
(or can use tahini or any nut butter like peanut, almond or walnut butter)
- 2 tbsps black sesame seeds
- ½ cup brown sugar
packed (I only like my delicately sweet so you may want to add more to suit your taste or can use honey or sugar alternatives)
- 14 oz pre-made refrigerated pie crust
(I used Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust- Pillsbury also makes a gluten free pie crust too)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds toasted(white or black)
- Preheat oven to 190 degree celsius (374 degrees F). Take your pre-made refrigerated pie crust out of the refrigerator and take out of the container and let to come to room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix black sesame seed paste and brown sugar (or coconut sugar or other sugar alternative) until well mixed. (You can also use tahini paste or any nut butter like peanut, almond or walnut butter)
- Unroll your pre-made pie crusts and cut the edges off the circle crust to make a square (This makes it easier to roll up and cut) You can pull together the scrap crusts and roll out as well.
- Spread a very thin layer of black sesame seed paste (or tahini or other nut butter) on top of each pre-made raw pie crust. I have to emphasize for your to only use a THIN layer of black sesame seed paste as if you get too thick the sesame seed paste will run all over your baked cookies. Sprinkle the raw pre-made pie crusts that are covered with the thin layer of black sesame paste with toasted black sesame seeds.
- Start at one end and tightly but gently roll the pie crust into a tortilla swirl. Slice the roll into 1 inch segments. (you will get about 10 cookies from each pie crust section or about 20 cookies total)
- Beat an egg and brush the egg around the edges of the sliced cookie and roll in the toasted sesame seeds. (I used toasted white sesame seeds.)
- Placed your prepared Sesame Spiral Pie Cookies on a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart (they do not expand) or parchment paper and bake for about 14-16 minutes. Your cookies should be slightly golden on the outside and crisp on the outside but chewy in the center.
- Enjoy your Sesame Spiral Pie Cookies with a little Chinese Tea and friends and family.