Massaman Glazed Drumsticks are juicy chicken legs slathered with an addictive Massaman curry glaze and baked to perfection.
Get ready with extra napkins as the only real way to enjoy these bad boys is to pick these drumsticks up with your fingers and get right in there. You are going to be happy when you do as the moment your lips touch the drumstick, you are going to be delighted with the spices and GARLIC!
How much garlic is too much garlic?
I have to admit I do you use “quite of bit of garlic” in my cooking, but maybe usage is all quite relative.
I have started to evaluate my garlic use in the kitchen per week and the results were quite shocking. As you know, one of garlic’s most potent health benefits includes the ability to enhance the body’s immune cell activity. Maybe it works at the cellular level or maybe if you eat enough of it people just stand further away from you and this helps prevents illnesses. Either way, garlic adds some great flavors to dishes and it is very good for your health.
Garlic, aromatics and the spices add that delicious flavor to these drumsticks.
Just looking at those little cloves of garlic made me smile. “Maybe I will serve a little chicken with my garlic?” Garlic is a great spice but “It is NOT the only spice”. I found a great deal on chicken drum sticks at Park n shop and also just purchased dried red chillies and I was on to something that was going to be lip smacking good.
The secret to the best Massaman Glazed Drumsticks is in the marinade
We made our own Massaman curry paste from scratch as we have access to all the Asian markets as we live in Asia. However, if you can find already prepared Massaman curry paste you can skip this step. As a backup, if you do not have access to an Asian grocery store, you can usually find red curry paste in a jar. This is not perfect but a close choice.
The longer you marinate your chicken the better. You need to marinade at least an hour but even better if you can do this the night before.
More Delicious Thai Recipes
Massaman Glazed Drumsticks
Massamam Curry Paste
- 5 dried chilis
soaked in hot water for about 10 minutes to soften.
- 3 tbsp garlic
or about 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp shallots
- 1 stalk lemongrass
or 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 1 tsp galangal
or fresh ginger
- 1 tsp coriander root
or 1 tsp dried coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp shrimp paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 chicken legs
prepped and dried well with a paper towel
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or sugar alternative of choice (optional) - helps cut the heat.
- 1 tbsp oil
- Make the massaman curry ( or you can use pre-made from the market ) Place all ingredients for the massaman curry in a mortar, pound until fine or use a food processor to blend well.
- In a large bowl place drumsticks, 2 tablespoons of massaman curry paste, maple syrup or sugar alternative, and oil and mix well and cover and marinade for at least 1 hour or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degree's celsius or 392 degree's F.
- Spray a 9 x 11 baking dish with spray oil and put the marinated chicken drumsticks on a single layer in the baking dish.
- Bake the chicken drumsticks uncovered on the middle rack of the oven for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes until the chicken is done and the juices run clear and is golden brown.
- Don bibs and have many napkins nearby as Garlic Massaman Glazed Drumsticks are a lip smacking yummy dish. I served Garlic Massaman Glazed Drumsticks for dinner with a couple of sides but also great for an appetizer. I think these would be perfect for a picnic as these little Garlic Massaman Glazed Drumsticks taste fantastic cold right out of the fridge. (Just had to do some additional QA testing late at night on the finished product)