Garlic Chicken Saltimbocca is a delectable easy Italian dish that easy enough for weeknights but fancy enough for guests.
Garlic Chicken Saltimbocca is an easy delectable Italian prosciutto and sage wrapped chicken dish with a butter wine sauce. Ready in 20 minutes.
The savory prosciutto Parma ham is crisp on the outside and seals in the juices of chicken. The garlic wine butter sauce is enhanced by the delicious fresh woodsy sage leaves that is drizzled on the delicious chicken breasts.
This time of the year we are always quite sentimental as it reminds us of Parma and soon to be olive season. The change of seasons into Autumn marks the festival of Prosciutto di Parma. There is no better way to celebrate then to make this delicious Garlic Chicken Saltimbocca wrapped in prosciutto.
Garlic Chicken Saltimbocca is tender, juicy and a perfect low carb /keto-friendly/diabetic friendly main dish. It takes less than 30 minutes to throw together and this included some veggie sides.
Prosciutto is an Italian dry cured ham that is usually sliced super thin and served uncooked (crudo) in an antipasti platter or wrapped around melon. Today we are using prosciutto wrapped around organic chicken breasts with sage leaves and sautéing in a pan with EVOO and garlic. Veal is most common in this dish but also comes with a hefty price tag so we are substituting with organic chicken breasts.
Do you use fresh sage often? As soon as the seasons start to cool this herb becomes a regular on our culinary menu. This delicious fragrant woodsy smelling herb is delicious in fall dishes and is certainly a star in many Thanksgiving dressing recipes and such. Sage is a bold herb so we only used 2 leaves per chicken breast.
Of course garlic! And lots of it! We think it makes this dish shine. We like to slice the garlic and only add it during the second half of the cooking process to prevent the garlic from overcooking.
Garlic Chicken Saltimbocca is made with just 7 little ingredients (if you exclude salt and pepper). Don’t you just love Italian dishes, just for this very reason. The quality ingredients just speak for themselves.
If you are looking for more 30 minute or less chicken meals be sure to check out our Rustic Chicken Cacciatore, Rosemary Chicken with Sautéed Onion Wine Sauce or our Chorizo and Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts.
Garlic Chicken Saltimbocca
- 12 oz Chicken breasts
or 4 small breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 8 leaves Sage leaves
- 8 slices Prosciutto
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic –
peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup White wine
chardonnay or whatever your drinking or can use chicken broth
- 1 tbsp Butter use dairy free margarine if lactose intolerant
- Slice your chicken breasts in half the long way so that they are skinner and cook faster. Place your chicken breasts in a plastic sealed baggie (lying flat) Pound under flat. Salt and pepper both sides to taste.
- Place a sage leaf on both sides of your chicken breast and carefully wrap your prosciutto around the chicken and sage leaf. There is no need for toothpicks….
- Place olive oil in frying pan and cook your prosciutto covered chicken on medium heat for about 3 minutes on one side. Add your garlic and then flip your prosciutto covered chicken until cooked through about another 3 minutes and the juices no longer are pink. Remove you Garlic Chicken Saltimbocca from the pan, set aside and keep warm. Do NOT wash that pan!
- In the same pan, add chardonnay or wine you are drinking and deglaze the pan. Cook for 2 minutes to cook down the alcohol (If you cannot have wine or are out of wine, exchange with chicken broth)
- Remove the pan win the wine sauce from the burner and add a dab of butter and stir until melted.
- Serve your Garlic Chicken Saltimbocca with a drizzle of wine butter sauce and enjoy.