Apricot Freezer Jam Recipe is a quick small batch recipe without sure jell or refined sugar. Made with fresh apricots, honey, ginger and lemon and ready in 15 minutes. Fabulous on top pancakes, toast, ice cream, in Mini Apricot Tarts and much more.
It’s the celebration of the stone fruit! We went a little overboard and bought a huge crate of apricots at Costco (bulk food store). How could one resist when apricots are one of our very favorite stone fruits? We almost needed one of those high lo trucks that beep as they are backing up to haul it into the car. (smiling)
Why You Are Going to Love This Jam?
You are going to love that sweet and sour blend of this easy apricot freezer jam recipe. With the first bite you taste the natural sweetness of the apricots and honey and then you feel the slight heat of the fresh ginger and then a little tartness with the lemon.
This super easy apricot jam has that sweet and sour addictiveness of some of the candies we love without all the sugar and guilt.
Delicious Uses for our Apricot Freezer Jam Recipe
We love to put a dollop of this delicious Apricot Freezer Jam on top of baked brie cheese and serve with crackers. This jam is brilliant on a chartreuse board or on top of our Gluten Free Cardamom Banana Pancakes.
We also have been known to put a little dab on our morning oatmeal, toast, scones and on our St. David’s Day Welsh Cakes. Try this apricot honey jam as a layer in cakes or on top ice cream or banana “nice cream” for a delicious treat. Place a dollop in our Mini Apricot Tarts for a special treat.
Just 4 Ingredients
- Fresh apricots – all you need to do is remove the pit and roughly chop them up. The peel is soft and will just disintegrate when cooked. Go ahead and save yourself some time and leave the peels on your apricots. We had 6 medium apricots left and when chopped up yielded about 3 ¼ cup.
- Honey – to lightly sweeten
- Zest of lemon – gives it that little addictive tart flavor
- Fresh Ginger – gives this recipe a little warming and delicious flavor. Have you tried our Strawberry Rhubarb Refrigerator Jam (AKA Bammers Jammers)? Our jam recipe also uses ginger and it gives it that little extra delicious punch of flavor.
Do You Have 10 minutes?
10 minutes is all the time you need to make this super easy homemade apricot jam. There is no fussing with sterilization of jars. You can skip the monkeying around with Sure jell (fruit pectin) or chia seeds to thicken this jam. There are no long cook times while you wait for the granulated sugar to melt because we used honey to lightly sweeten. While you are brewing your morning coffee or tea, you can have your Apricot Freezer Jam Recipe ready to top your scones.
What Is One To Do With Lots Of Fresh Apricots?
We say that is a good problem to have! One can only eat so many fresh apricots at a time, when they are at their peak ripeness. Apricots are delicious grilled. They can be exchanged for nectarines in our Grilled Nectarines with Coconut Cream, Summer Salad with Strawberry Rose Dressing and Grilled Shrimp Nectarine Summer Salad.
We have a delicious individual apricot tart recipe coming your way soon, so hold tight. You are going to want to make our Apricot Freezer Jam Recipe so you can make our super easy and delicious Apricot tart recipe.
Small Batch Freezer Jam
This recipe makes about 1.5 cups cooked (give or take) Apricot Freezer Jam. It really depends on how large the apricots are. A pound of apricots is usually between 8 – 10 apricots but ours were very large (Costco Large—smiling) and we used only 6 and it was about a pound or 0.45 kg.
Frequent Asked Questions (FAQ's)
They will give slightly when pressed in your hand and smell sweet and aromatic at the ends of the fruit. If the apricot is over ripe that is better than being under ripe for this recipe. If you use under ripe apricots, they will not be as sweet and will need more honey.
Slice the apricots in half lengthwise and just use either a knife or your fingers to remove the pit. When the apricot is ripe and ready, the pit will be easy to remove. If the apricots are not very ripe, the pit will be more difficult to remove.
7 days in the refrigerator or 3 months in the freezer in a freezer safe container. This Apricot Freezer Jam Recipe is not a recipe for canning but only for immediate use or store in the refrigerator or freezer. The reason being is that it does not have the sugar content ratio of fruit to sugar like an original sugar laden jam recipe. According to the National Center for Home Food Preservation, the ratio of sugar to fruit and sterilization of tools and jars need to occur for the canning procedure to be safe.
Approximately 1.5 cups or 24 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon is 1 serving
Granulated sugar actually helps preserve the jam and prevents spoilage. However, honey has a lower glycemic load and does not raise blood sugars as quickly as does granulated sugar. In addition, it is much easier to work with and takes less time to make the jam with honey vs sugar. If there is ever any mold on a jar of jam or signs of other spoilage, discard the entire contents of the jar or container. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
- DIY Ultimate Bagel Bar Brunch
- Top Breakfast and Brunch Ideas
- Blackberry Lemon Drop Biscuits
- Better Than Mrs. Buttersworth's Pancake Syrup
- Breakfast Bap
Tried this recipe? Please leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating in the recipe card below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page.
Apricot Freezer Jam Recipe (No Refined Sugar)
- sauce pan
- 1 pound apricots fresh or about 6 – 8 apricots – when chopped = 3 and ¼ cups
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1.5 inch ginger knob, fresh finely grated
- Slice apricots in half, remove pit from apricots and roughly chop. Leave the skin on as it will disintegrate during the cooking process.
- Add chopped apricots, honey, zest of lemon and fresh ginger into a pot and cook over low-medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the apricots start to break up and still have little chunks. If you do not like the texture with little chunks of tender apricots, just cook for a minute or 2 longer until smooth.
- Allow to cool.Enjoy!