Almost Diet Nutella Banana Bread is moist and delicately sweet from the ripened bananas and applesauce. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea.
Happy Mum’s Day to all my favourite moms out there!
I am wishing you all a very special day with lots of homemade drawn cards, hugs and kisses from your little ones and maybe even a little breakfast in bed.
Here is a delicious, moist, easy and “almost diet Nutella Bread” recipe for all of you dads out there that want to make a little something for that special gal in your life that keeps all the kids happy.
This Almost diet nutella bread is really moist as instead of all that oil, we use applesauce. It really is mostly fruit with only a little gluten-flour. I used low glycemic sugar alternatives instead of refined sugar. I think when you cut into it makes all the calories escape anyways, so you are good to go. After all, your favourite mom needs to fit into that string bikini in a few weeks as it is almost beach time.
As Mel Gibson says, “After 20 years of marriage, I’m finally starting to scratch the surface of what women really want. I think the answer lies somewhere between conversation and chocolate”. Nutella is the perfect answer for all of life’s little questions.
I asked my dad once after his 66th wedding anniversary, What is your secret to a successful marriage? He said, “When your mom and I first got married we made the decision that I would handle any big decision to be made and she would handle the little decisions. Up to this point, there has never really been any big decisions to be made. I love my dad. He always says the perfect things.
How to Ripen Bananas in the Oven
Did you know that you can ripen bananas in the oven? I know how difficult it is to find the perfectly ripe bananas on the exact day you want to make your Nutella banana bread. All you need to do is to preheat your oven to 300 degree’s F (148 C). Pop your whole un-peeled bananas on a baking sheet and bake for about 45-60 minutes until they look terrifyingly black. I know they look like something from a horror film and that is exactly why I did not put in the photo. Even though the skin is black the inside is beautifully sweet and ripe and just perfect to use in any baking or other culinary uses.
Almost diet nutella banana bread is the perfect easy breakfast to serve mom’s in bed on her special day. Add a little cup of tea or coffee and juice and some fresh-cut “dandelions” in a vase, from the garden/yard, and you have the perfect gift for your mom.
Breakfast and Brunch Breads and Muffins
Healthy Pumpkin Muffins (dairyfree and No added sugar)
Almost Diet Nutella Banana Bread
- bananas - 4 very ripe mashed
- apple sauce - 1/2 cup natural, no added sweeteners
- flour (gluten free) - 1 1/2 cup (if no gluten allergies then can use all purpose flour and do not add the xanthum gum)
- baking powder - 2 teaspoons
- baking soda - 1/4 teaspoon
- xanthum gum - 1/2 teaspoon
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- butter - 2 tablespoons
- low glycemic sugar alternatives - 1/2 cup coconut sugar(or 12 splenda packets, 1/2 cup agave syrup, honey, molasses or whatever sugar alternative you prefer).
- egg whites - 2 large
- vanilla - 1 teaspoon extract or paste
- nutella - 1/4 cup ( or a little extra for licking the spoon and testing)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the rest of the wet ingredients; mashed bananas, applesauce, egg whites and vanilla and stir. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, baking powder, xanthum gum and salt. Mix together.
- Slowly, a little a time use a fork to mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Use a little spay oil to coat the bottom and sides of a loaf pan and then flour your pan. Alternatively you can line your pan with parchment paper. This is to prevent sticking.
- Heat up your nutella for about 30 seconds in the microwave to soften slightly.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Drizzle half of the nutella on top of batter. Repeat with the second half of the batter and then follow with a final drizzle swirl back and forth on top.
- To make a fun design on top of your nutella bread run your knife shallowly in the opposite direction of the swirls.
- Bake your almost diet nutella banana bread for about 45 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Run your knife gently around the edges of the bread within the loaf pan. Slice and serve plain or with a little butter, hugs, kisses and some homemade cards for mom.