Sichuan Beef and Broccoli is a classic spicy super Chinese stir fry dish you can have ready in less than 15 minutes.
Sichuan Beef and Broccoli for the Win!
When family is starving, you need a recipe that can fit into busy life style. With just a handful of ingredients and a wok or frying pan, you are in business. The broccoli is still crisp and the beef is a little tongue numbing spicy. So good!
Cooking in the Middle of a Typhoon
Currently there is a Typhoon level 8 in Hong Kong. Simply this means lots of wind and rain and all public transport comes to a halt (ferries, buses, MTR, etc). Many companies and schools are closed and everyone enjoys a day off together. Most locals can be found enjoying a day of karaoke or sleeping in. However, for me a fun thing to do is to tinker in the kitchen.
However, with many grocery stores being temporary closed I have to make do with what was is already in our Kitchen. Hmm.... are we going to have to resort to our Hong Kong emergency bags with water, Spam canned ham and beef jerky? (that would take some creative energies to come up with something palatable)
Have no fear! A well stocked fridge and cupboard and we are ready to go. I just hope we don't lose electricity for a few until I can finish my cooking.
How does a Spicy Sichuan Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry (四川牛肉和西兰花) sound to you? I think this is a much better option than the potential Typhoon 8 (emergency bag) fried spam and eggs on toast. So here is my version of this dish with influence from one of my favorite Chinese food cooks Christine Liu. Spicy Sichuan Beef and Broccoli is spicy, crunchy and fun escape from the dismal weather outside.
The best way to stay informed about the weather in Hong Kong and what actions need to be taken during adverse weather is to visit the Hong Kong Observatory site for details. Do not worry! This weather will blow over soon- enjoy your day off work and school.
More Delicious Chinese Stir Fry Recipes
Hungry For More? Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow along on Facebook, You Tube, Instagram, and Pinterest for all the latest updates.
Sichuan Beef and Broccoli
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic
peeled and minced
- 1 inch ginger
knob peeled and grated or minced finely
- ½ onion
peeled and chopped
- 1 pound sukiyaki beef
or very thin sliced beef tender
- 2-3 whole star anise
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 tbsp rice wine
(shao xing) or cooking sherry
- 1-2 tsp spicy garlic chili paste
or to taste
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
or sugar alternative
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
crushed in mortar and pestle
- 1 tbsp black bean sauce
hold for gluten free
- 1 tbsp cornstarch for corn starch slurry
- 2 tbsp water for corn starch slurry
- In a separate small bowl combine the following Sichuan spice mix items together (garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper, Sichuan peppercorns, spicy black bean paste) and set aside.
- Heat oil in wok and saute onion, ginger root and garlic and cook until aromatic
- Add beef and cook until color changes
- Add star anise, broccoli, cooking wine and do a quick stir.
- Add the Sichuan spice mixture to the stir fry while stirring continuously. (Very quick process only about 1- 2 minutes as you want the broccoli to be crunchy and bright in color)
- Make sure you have your wok on medium high heat and then add the cornstarch water mixture to thicken stir fry dish and mix well. Quick movements of flipping and quick removal of dish on to serving plate.
- Remove Star Anise and Enjoy Spicy Sichuan Beef and Broccoli with steamed rice.