Shrimp Burritos with Creamy Poblano Sauce is an easy gluten-free creamy and spicy Tex Mex dinner ready in under 30 minutes.
One bite of the light and creamy shrimp and rice mixture smothered in creamy poblano sauce and cheesy goodness and you will be hooked.
What We Love
Can be made in advance and then reheated
Can be made dairy free by using vegan cheese
Taco Tuesdays elevated ten times over
Spicy but not too spicy
Hearty and filling
Keto and low carb options
Left over Rice Rocks
Do you have leftover rice in your refrigerator? You are in luck! Don’t throw it away as it makes a delicious Shrimp Burritos with Creamy Poblano Sauce or try one of these recipes below…
Green Magic Sauce
We highly suggest you double the recipe for our creamy poblano sauce. This magic green sauce rocks over eggs, in carnitas burritos, stir fried Mexican rice and many other recipes. It is dairy free and will last for at least 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer. If you decide to freeze this sauce, you may want to place in the food processor for a moment just to get it mixed well again.
Burrito vs Enchilada?
The difference between a burrito and an enchilada is the type of tortilla used. Most generally speaking, burritos use a flour tortilla. However, enchiladas use soft corn tortillas. We used both low carb tortillas and also gluten-free flour tortillas from Mission and they are soft and easy to wrap.
Have you ever had a burrito at a Mexican restaurant? Then you may have had one stuffed with ground beef, rice, beans, corn, cheese, onion and many different ingredients with a red chili sauce. This is the more traditional version of a burrito.
However, with our Shrimp Burritos with Creamy Poblano Sauce we are breaking all the rules. We are stuffing our burrito with shrimp and rice slathered with delicious creamy poblano sauce.
Traditionally you may see melted cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cotija cheese and avocado to name a few. We chose to keep it simple and topped with a few chopped tomatoes and avocados for the perfect savory bite.
If you want a delicious recipe for homemade taco seasoning, just add the following ingredients together and store in a sealed container. Check out The Foodie Affairs Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe for details.
ground black pepper
red pepper flakes
However, we know life is just crazy busy so using a pre-made taco seasoning packet from the store is okay and we won’t tell a soul.
Step By Step Assembly
Do not worry about making your burritos perfectly wrapped as these delicious burritos will need to be eaten with a fork. the only hint is try not to overstuff them too much. You might have a little leftover stuffing and that is one happy accident as then you lunch sorted for the next day.
Can you make this recipe low carb?
You most certainly can! There are 3 changes that you will make to the recipe.
- Use cauliflower rice instead of day old cooked rice in your recipe.
- Be sure to make your own taco seasoning mix as the store bought in a package generally add sugar and corn starch or other thickeners.
- Lettuce cups instead of tortilla
- Do not bake your burrito. Instead just top your lettuce cup with a scoop of your delicious seasoned shrimp and cauliflower rice and place on top of your lettuce cup. Top with a little shredded cheese if desired. Finally drizzle on a little of that creamy poblano sauce and inhale.
Maybe one would call this the unbaked burrito or Tex Mex shrimp and cauliflower rice lettuce cups with a killer good creamy poblano sauce. We made something similar using Italian ingredients that you may enjoy called Parsley Lemon Pesto Shrimp Wraps.
The 2 things you need to do to confirm that your recipe is gluten free if you have a celiac issue is to use gluten- free tortillas and make your own homemade taco seasoning mix with gluten free spices.
More delicious TEX MEX Meals
Do not panic when you see the length of the ingredients list as many items are listed twice as they are used in different parts of the recipe and many are optional garnishes. Have a super week ahead.
Did You Like Our Recipe? Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. Your feedback is always appreciated! Follow us for more delicious recipes on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook! Don't forget to sign up for our email list for more free recipes.
Shrimp Burritos with Creamy Poblano Sauce
Creamy Poblano Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
peeled and chopped (Reserve ½ of the sautéed onion and garlic mixture for rice)
- 2 cloves garlic
peeled and minced (Reserve ½ of the sautéed onion and garlic mixture for rice)
- 2 poblano peppers
seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
(homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup cilantro
- Salt and pepper
Shrimp and Rice Mixture
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Reserved ½ of the sautéed onion and garlic mixture from above
- 1 pound shrimp
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups cooked rice (we used jasmine rice but can use any type you have on hand including brown)
- 2 tablespoon coconut milk
- ½ cup Cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Flour tortillas
(we some low carb wraps and some gluten-free wraps)
- 1 cup mozzarella Cheese
grated (as that is all we had on hand but can use cheddar or dairy free cheese if lactose intolerant)
- Cilantro garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Make your taco seasoning mixture from scratch. https://www.thefoodieaffair.com/taco-seasoning-mix-recipe/ If using taco seasoning in a packet, skip this step.
Creamy Poblano Sauce
- In a large skillet add olive oil, onion and garlic and sauté until slightly golden. Remove from the burner and set aside. You are going to use ½ of the onion garlic mixture in your creamy poblano sauce and the other half in your shrimp and rice mixture.
- In a food processor, add ½ of the cooked onion and garlic mixture. Leave the other half of the onion garlic mixture in the pan as you will use this for frying together your shrimp and rice mixture. Also, add to your food processor poblano peppers, coconut cream, 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning mixture, handful bunch of cilantro (about 1 cup NOT chopped) and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until thick rich and bright green in color. Set aside.
Make Shrimp and Rice Mixture
- Place the skillet with the sautéed onion and garlic mixture back on the stove top and turn on medium meat. Add in the peeled, deveined and tail removed shrimp and sauté for about 2-3 minutes until the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent. Next add in the cooked rice, 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning mix and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add in 2 tablespoons of coconut cream to make it rich and creamy. Then, add in chopped cilantro and stir well. Set aside.
Assemble your Shrimp Burritos with Creamy Poblano Sauce
- Gently spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with a little spray oil on the sides and bottom of pan.
- Put 3 tablespoons of the Creamy poblano sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Place about 3 tablespoons of your prepared Shrimp and rice mixture into each flour tortilla and a little bit of the creamy poblano sauce. Start on one side and fold over and then fold over the edges and roll up. Do not worry these do not have to be perfect.
- Put the wrapped shrimp and rice burritos inside the prepared 9 x 13 pan that has a little of the creamy poblano sauce on the bottom. Drizzle the rest of the creamy poblano sauce over the burritos. Top with the grated cheese.
- Broil your Shrimp Burritos with Creamy Poblano Sauce for about 2-3 minutes or just until the cheese gets all melty and slightly golden. Remove from oven.
- Garnish if desired with chopped tomatoes, cilantro and avocado if desired and enjoy.