Vegan Curried rice is a delicious blend of garden fresh vegetables tossed in a wok with a little ginger, curry and garlicky fried brown rice.
SIMPLE. HEALTHY. DELICIOUS.
My 3 new favorite words when it comes to preparing meals and keeping everyone in your family happy and healthy. Vegan Curried Rice is a delicious side dish or main. Low prep, low fuss and just 8 little ingredients to get this little number on your table in less than 15 minutes.
You are just going to love this Vegan curried rice as it is so warming and comforting with the fresh ginger and garlicky aromatics and then the kick of the curry hits you and you will be swooning for more. You can make this dish as mild or as spicy as you like it. If you are a newby to curry powder, start out with just a little bit like 1/2 teaspoon and taste and keep adding a little more until you get to the spice level and heat your family desires.
Vegan Curried Rice is happily vegan, of course, but is also gluten-free, dairy free, egg free and nut free. As we are starting to approach the spring season, it is hard to let go of the long sweat pants, oversized sweaters and snow boots. I know it is hard to picture the ground without snow but before you know it will be time for shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops (Thongs for all of my Auzzie readers) and the dreaded swim attire… Seriously this is a scary thought for me. I have started to take small delicious steps to meeting my goals of reducing sugar from diet, eating loads of colorful vegetables, eating lean proteins and eating more healthy carbs.
Vegan Curried Rice is a simple way to meet our goals of eating loads of colorful vegetables and eating just a tiny bit of carbohydrates in the form of brown rice. I know that usually rice is the main ingredient in fried rice dishes but today the star of the show are the fresh veggies and spices. Seriously this whole dish only has about 1 cup cooked brown rice and this is for 4 people. This is a great way to keep any diabetics in your family happy as they get to eat fried rice, well mostly veggies…but with a few grains of rice.
You can use whatever veggies you happen to have in your crisper and this dish will delicious. Just remember to cut everything up in about the same size and fry your harder vegetables first and then add your softer vegetables at the end. Click HERE if you would like to learn all the in’s and outs of how to make the best fried rice. Another fried recipe that is a huge hit is our Hawaiian Luau Rice as it is fun and super easy to make.
Vegan Curried Rice the perfect dish to transition from winter to spring as it is light and full of vegetables but warming from the spices.
Vegan Curried Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
or oil of choice
- 2 tsp ginger
freshly grated (or 1 teaspoon dried ground)
- 2 cloves garlic
peeled and minced (or 1/2 teaspoon dried ground)
- 2 carrots small (or about 1/2 cup) chopped in smaller thin pieces so it cooks quickly
- 1 head broccoli chopped into small florets (you can also use some of the peeled stem if you chop into small pieces so that it cooks quickly
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tsp curry powder
or to taste for your desired heat level
- 1 cup spinach chopped fresh (optional)
- Make sure you have all of your items chopped and ready to go as this recipe is going to go fast. In a wok or frying pan, add your oil and heat to medium high heat. Add your fresh ginger and garlic (please note if you are using dried ground ginger and garlic add these only after you have added your vegetables to the wok) and stir fry just until aromatic then quickly add your carrots and broccoli. Keep stirring and keep the items in your wok moving. Add salt and pepper to taste and add 1 tablespoon of water and put on lid for about 1 minute, just to do a flash steam of your veggies. DO NOT overcook. You want your vegetables to be crisp aldente. (You can use any vegetables you have in your crisper for this recipe)
- Remove lid from your wok/frying pan and toss your veggies. The water should be evaporated. Add the cooked brown rice and curry powder and toss until all of the rice is well coated. (If your rice starts to stick then add just a touch more olive oil). Add a handful of spinach and just toss until wilted about 1 minute. Taste test your stir fry and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve your delicious vegan curried rice hot from the wok. Enjoy!