Vegan Curried rice is a delicious blend of garden fresh vegetables tossed in a wok with a little ginger, curry and garlicky fried brown rice. Heavy on the VEGGIES and light on the RICE!
Table of contents
Vegan Curried Rice
Our 3 new favorite words when it comes to preparing meals and keeping everyone in your family happy and healthy. Vegetable Curry Rice is a delicious stir fried side dish or main. Low prep, low fuss and just 8 little ingredients. Our favorite part is you can get this little number on your table in less than 15 minutes.
Make It Just the Way You Like It
You are just going to love this Vegan curried rice as it is so warming and comforting. The fresh ginger and garlicky aromatics and then the kick of the curry hits you and you will be swooning for more. You can make this dish as mild or as spicy as you like it. If you are new to curry powder, start out with just a little bit like ½ teaspoon and taste and keep adding a little more until you get to the spice level and heat your family desires. If you are on the fence about purchasing a mild curry powder, be sure to also try our Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Curry, Cozy Chicken Curry Soup or our Curried Tuna Salad Roll Ups.
Vegan Curried Rice is happily vegan, of course, but is also gluten-free, dairy free, egg free and nut free. As we are starting to approach the spring season, it is hard to let go of the long sweat pants, oversized sweaters and snow boots.
I know it is hard to picture the ground without snow but before you know it will be time for shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops (Thongs for all of my Auzzie readers) and the dreaded swim attire... Seriously this is a scary thought! We have started to take small delicious steps to meeting my goals of reducing sugar from diet, eating loads of colorful vegetables, eating lean proteins and eating more healthy carbs.
Vegetables For the Win!
Vegan Curried Rice is a simple way to meet our health goals. We enjoy eating loads of colorful vegetables and eating just a tiny bit of carbohydrates in the form of brown rice. I know that usually rice is the main ingredient in fried rice dishes. Today, the star of the show are the fresh veggies and spices. Seriously, this whole dish only has about 1 cup cooked brown rice and this is for 4 people. This is a great way to keep any diabetics in your family happy. They get to eat fried rice, well mostly veggies...but with a few grains of rice.
How To Make Vegetable Fried Rice?
You can use whatever veggies you happen to have in your crisper and this dish will delicious. Just remember to cut everything up in about the same size and fry your harder vegetables first and then add your softer vegetables at the end. Here are the order of operations for making vegetable fried rice.
- Oil and aromatics like garlic and ginger always go in first.
2. Add you harder vegetables like carrots and broccoli with a tablespoon of water and put on the lid to lightly steam for a moment.
3. Then add rice, curry powder and quick cooking spinach and get that wok moving over high heat. Sometimes you have to add a little more oil in the pan before doing this depending on which sort of pan you are using.
More Delicious Rice Recipes
Check out our post for Hong Kong Fried Rice, if you would like to learn all the in's and outs of how to make the best fried rice. Another fried recipe that is a huge hit is our Hawaiian Luau Rice as it is fun and super easy to make. If you like the idea of making a side dish all in one pot, be sure to try our Lemon Pepper Rice as it is sure to please.
Vegan Curried Rice the perfect dish to transition from winter to spring. It is light and full of vegetables but warming from the spices.
Did You Like Our Recipe? Leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating and/or a review in the comments section below. Your feedback is always appreciated! Follow us for more delicious recipes on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook! Don't forget to sign up for our email list for more free recipes.
Vegan Curried Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
or oil of choice
- 2 teaspoon ginger
freshly grated (or 1 teaspoon dried ground)
- 2 cloves garlic
peeled and minced (or ½ teaspoon dried ground)
- 2 carrots small (or about ½ cup) chopped in smaller thin pieces so it cooks quickly
- 1 head broccoli chopped into small florets (you can also use some of the peeled stem if you chop into small pieces so that it cooks quickly
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
or to taste for your desired heat level
- 1 cup spinach chopped fresh (optional)
- Make sure you have all of your items chopped and ready to go as this recipe is going to go fast. In a wok or frying pan, add your oil and heat to medium high heat. Add your fresh ginger and garlic (please note if you are using dried ground ginger and garlic add these only after you have added your vegetables to the wok) and stir fry just until aromatic then quickly add your carrots and broccoli. Keep stirring and keep the items in your wok moving. Add salt and pepper to taste and add 1 tablespoon of water and put on lid for about 1 minute, just to do a flash steam of your veggies. DO NOT overcook. You want your vegetables to be crisp aldente. (You can use any vegetables you have in your crisper for this recipe)
- Remove lid from your wok/frying pan and toss your veggies. The water should be evaporated. Add the cooked brown rice and curry powder and toss until all of the rice is well coated. (If your rice starts to stick then add just a touch more olive oil). Add a handful of spinach and just toss until wilted about 1 minute. Taste test your stir fry and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Serve your delicious vegan curried rice hot from the wok. Enjoy!