DINNER on a STICK has never been so easy!
Kabobs is short for shish kabobs and is sometimes spelled like “kebobs”. Mediterranean chicken kabobs are great for entertaining and casual gatherings as all the prep work can be done ahead and they grill up in less than 15 minutes. If you like the idea of Kabobs, you are going to absolutely love our Japanese Negima Yakitori with Grilled Portobello and our Green Chicken Kabab Recipe.
It is the height of the grilling season here in Hong Kong and Mother Nature has decided to make grilling outdoors a little amusing with some sidewise rain and monsoon winds. I have no plans to practice my short of long game of golf off my balcony and into the China sea, but that rain umbrella comes in handy when you are grilling. Wait a minute that does sound fun, it you hit a shrimp boat or a container ship with your golf ball you get extra points and a personal visit from the coast guard… LOL
Why you are going to love this easy Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs recipe
This recipe starts out with a super easy chicken marinade. With just 5 little ingredients it is super easy to make; olive oil, rosemary, lemon zest, pepper and garlic. If you can remember to throw your chicken in with the simple marinade in the morning before you leave to work, you deserve a prize. However, if you did not remember no worries, as even just as little as 15 minutes of marinating time whilst you are heating up the grill and preparing the other veggies and you are good to go.
You are just going to love these delicious Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs as the lemons on the skewers really give a nice bright flavor to the dish. However the star of the show are the grilled olives on the kabobs.
Olives are the Star!
Oh my word, the olives are so delicious. I love how they get that little golden brown char on the olives when you grill them. The olive skins gets all wrinkly and they spread the love of their slightly salty and aromatic flavors on to the chicken. Now lets not forget about those gorgeous cherry tomatoes that are literally bursting with flavour.
This is an easy, low carb, gluten-free and diabetic friendly meal. If you want a cardiac friendly option then you will have to remove or reduce the amount of olives as they are high in sodium.
Today is just a quick recipe as I need to scurry back outside to cook before the heavens decide open up again.
More Grilling and Chilling Recipes
Healthy Alternative Zip Sauce for your Steaks
Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs
- 24 oz chicken breasts
boneless and skinless cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rosemary
minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 cloves garlic - 2 garlic cloves minced peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8-10 wooden skewers
soaked in water for about 1/2 hour before use
- 2 lemon (sliced into little sliced wedges)
- 12 olives
or as needed (I used large garlic stuffed green olives that were pitted but you can use any olives you like kalamata would be nice)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper or Mrs. Dash (take it easy on the salt as the olives are naturally salty)
- In a sealed plastic bag or container with lid mix together your chicken, lemon zest, olive oil, rosemary, garlic and pepper and mix well. Set aside in refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes but best overnight or before your leave for work in the morning.
- Soak your wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before using (to prevent burning). If you are lucky enough to have the metal kabob skewers, lucky you and you can skip this step.
- Preheat your grill to a medium setting. Take one pre-soaked skewer and thread on a piece of chicken to about 2 inches from the end and then thread on a slice of lemon, then a olive, then a tomato and a piece of chicken and then start the whole process over again with the remaining chicken and kabob items. Fill the kabobs so they are full in the middle but have about 2 inches of space on the ends.
- Lightly oil grill grates. Place your Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs on the grill and season with salt and pepper to taste. They do not need too much salt as the olives are salty. Grill on each side for about 6-7 minutes on each side or about 12-15 minutes or until the chicken juices are clear. Do not overcook the chicken.
- Enjoy Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs hot off the grill with a nice tossed salad to stay low on carbs.