Feta Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms are a super easy low carb appetizer or main stuffed with feta, fresh herbs and can be either grilled or baked to perfection.
Table of Contents
- Why you are going to love Feta Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
- Are you feeling cooking fatigue?
- Recipes with under 5 ingredients
- What is feta cheese?
- Is Portobello, Portabella or Portobella the correct naming convention?
- How to prepare stuffed mushrooms?
- Frequently asked questions
- More Delicious Low Carb Recipes
Why you are going to love Feta Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
These earthy baby portabella mushrooms are tender, juicy, savory and the perfect 2 bite treat. Looking for a quick vegetarian dish or tasty side dish? These Mushrooms are so delicious and so easy to make.
Fun and Easy appetizer
Can be grilled or baked
Less than 20 minutes to make
Only 5 ingredients and 3 of them are basic pantry ingredients
Are you feeling cooking fatigue?
We feel like we have already cooked 884 dinners and it is only the middle of the month? Lockdown three square meals a day and feeling like a short order cook with everyone home is exhausting. How about you? Are you surviving? Are you sick and tired of someone coming into the kitchen after you have just spent an hour tidying up after and coming in and making a huge mess? Really!!! (We are beyond ready for everyone to get back to work, school and get the heck out of OUR kitchen.)
Recipes with under 5 ingredients
We dream about having a clean-up fairy that lives in the kitchen and just cleans up the mess magically. Since that is not happening, we decided to just start making no fuss, few ingredient meals and dishes that can whipped up in a flash. How does that sound? Our Feta Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms are made with just portabella mushrooms, feta cheese, olive oil, salt/pepper and optionally a dusting of parsley if desired. You gotta love that!
What is feta cheese?
Feta cheese is a delicious brined cured crumbly Greek cheese made with both sheep and goat milk. We really like using feta as it is crumbly and easy to stuff into things. The sharp little saltiness of the cheese is a delicious contrast to the earthy mushrooms. Drizzled with a little olive oil it is a sublime appetizer or delicious side dish.
Not only is feta cheese delicious in mushrooms. Be sure to try our Feta Stuffed Mini Peppers and our Greek Feta Yogurt Snack Bites. Feta cheese is also delicious as a low carb Feta Egg Roll Ups Breakfast or and easy dinner in our Feta and Sun-Dried Tomato One-Pot Chicken
If you can’t find feta cheese, then swap out for cotija, mozzarella, Swiss, or any other cheeses you can get your hands on. Please feel free to make changes to dishes and please share your comments and let us all know how it turned out.
Is Portobello, Portabella or Portobella the correct naming convention?
The etymology remains disputed. You can call it any name you wish. We prefer to just call these Feta Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms delicious. This recipe also good with any mushroom with a stem such as the button mushroom, large portabella mushrooms, shiitake, cremini, etc. Use whatever you have on hand. We are all about that. If you love stuffed mushrooms, be sure to try our Homemade Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms.
How to prepare stuffed mushrooms?
1) First you need to gently remove the stem from mushroom. Don’t throw these away as the mushroom stems are delicious in soups like our French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup.
2) Gently wipe off the dirt with a damp cloth. Do not wash your mushrooms under water as they are like a sponge and will soak up all moisture.
3) Stuff your mushrooms with feta cheese.
4) Drizzle your feta stuffed portabella mushrooms with a little olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
5) If desired sprinkle on a little parsley (optional).
6) Place on prepared heated BBQ for about 10 minutes until tender. If Mother Nature is not cooperating you can bake in a 350 degree F (176 degree C) oven for about 15-20 minutes or until tender and feta is slightly toasty.
That’s it! You can do this.
Frequently asked questions
You certainly can! You can assemble and prepare your mushrooms up to 24 hours in advance and cover and place in the refrigerator. Then, you can either grill or bake when you are ready to eat. You may need to add a little extra oil on your grill or baking sheet before baking as the mushrooms will absorb the oil.
If you have already baked or grilled stuffed mushrooms, store them in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Then just either heat up in the oven or microwave to serve.
You can use any mushroom that has a stem. For example, button mushrooms, large portabella mushrooms, shiitake, cremini, etc.
More Delicious Low Carb Recipes
- Firecracker Grilled Shrimp
- How to Cook Shishito Peppers on the Grill
- Lemon Lavender Goat Cheese Spread
- Skinny Spaghetti Squash Roll Ups
- Baked Cheesy Salami Wrapped Jalapeños
- Herb Marinated Grilled Rack of Lamb
Feta Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
- 8 oz portabella mushrooms
baby (or 3-4 large portabella mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup parsley
chopped or 1 tablespoon dried (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pepper freshly ground
- salt to taste
- Remove stems from Mushrooms
- Wipe mushrooms with damp paper towel. (Do not soak mushroom in water to clean as they will be soggy)
- Rub the bottom of mushrooms with a little olive oil and add a pinch of salt to the mushrooms
- Stuff each mushroom with feta cheese, sprinkle on a little pepper and add parsley to the top of each mushroom, if desired.
- Drizzle mushrooms with a little of olive oil
- Place mushrooms on prepared grill and cook for about 10 minutes until tender. (If you do not have a grill, then you can bake for about 15-20 minutes at a temperature of 176 degrees C (350 degrees F)