French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup is a delicious cozy soup filled to the brim with healthy veggies and toasty cheesy goodness on top.
Why you are going to love French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup
This delicious soup allows you to use whatever leftovers you have in the refrigerator and it is a healthier version of the traditional French Onion Soup.
Have you had a chance to try our Crazy Easy Italian Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe? We hope you do as we used the beef and vegetables in our French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup. We are all about cooking once and eating twice methodology, how about you?
How to make French Onion Soup Lower Carb
Traditional French Onion Soup has the big slice of toasted French bread under the cheese that is broiled under the broiler. We skipped the bread completely to keep it gluten-free and did not add any potatoes to keep it a bit lower carb. If you wanted to really make it keto friendly then use lower carb veggies like green beans, spinach, cauliflower, bok choy, etc and skip the red wine for deglazing.
Refrigerator Clean Out Day Makes the Best Soups
We started out by caramelizing our onions in a pot and then deglazing the pan with a little red wine and then added the shredded beef and all those delicious slow cooker pan drippings from our Crazy Easy Italian Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe and whatever veggies we had in the crisper or freezer. This soup is really a reflection of whatever you have in your crisper, “Clean out the Refrigerator Day Soup”. We could not name the recipe “Clean out the Refrigerator Day Soup”, but indeed that is exactly what it is. What little bits and bobs of vegetables and meats do you have in your refrigerator to make a delicious bowl of French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup? Another great recipe for clean out the refrigerator day, is our Pantry Fried Rice. We make that often.
What kinds of Vegetables to Add to the Soup
I do not suggest making your soup with canned vegetables, if you are concerned about nutrition as they are filled with sodium and other preservatives. However, frozen vegetables on the other hand are a great solution as if you buy just the plain frozen vegetables they are just the vegetable. Read the label. In the winter, your access to all the fresh vegetables may not be available. However, there is always frozen and this is a great alternative.
Stay Healthy – Enjoy Soups
This is the time of year that you need to take extra good care of yourself to avoid the colds and flu season and boost your immunity. A delicious warm French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup helps warm the soul and nourish your body. Garlic helps to prevent and reduce the severity of common illnesses like the flu and common cold so we added at least 4 cloves just to be sure… Add to your taste preference.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
large peeled and sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms
cleaned and sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 cloves garlic 4 cloves
peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
(we used a pinot nior as that is what we were drinking, use what you have on hand or skip this step if have dietary reasons)
- 1 cup cooked beef
(we used the pull apart tender beef from our Crazy Easy Italian Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe.) Any left-over cooked beef or even ground hamburger is great in this recipe.
- 6 cups bone broth
- 1 cup Beef juice from our Crazy Easy Italian Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe (or increase beef broth/bone broth up to 7 cups)
- 2 cup Frozen veggies (we used an assortment of carrots, green beans and peas as this is what we had on hand) Use whatever you have in your refrigerator leftover or frozen veggies.
- Salt and pepper to taste to taste
- 1 cup Provolone cheese (either grated or can use slices)
- Preheat oven to broil setting
- In a large pot add olive oil and onions. Cook over medium low heat until onions are caramelized (about 10 minutes)
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until slightly golden – you will have to add another tablespoon of oil to prevent sticking as the mushrooms soak up the oil. Add salt and pepper and thyme to taste and garlic and sauté just until aromatic. Do not burn your garlic. Add the red wine to deglaze the pan. Cook off the alcohol over medium simmer heat for about 10 minutes or until the wine is reduced by half.
- Add the cooked beef, beef broth or beef bone broth and beef juice, vegetables of choice and simmer for about 10 minutes until the flavors have a chance to mingle. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In oven safe crock bowls, ladle a scoop of your French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup and top with provolone cheese. Place your soup bowl on an aluminum foiled lined baking sheet in case there are any overflows. Broil your French Beef Vegetable Mushroom Onion Soup
- Broil for 1-2 minutes or just until the tops are slightly brown and toasty and melty.