Creamy Chipotle Chicken Skillet is a one pan spicy, smoky and savory 30-minute dinner with just 7 little ingredients that you will love on your menu plan.
Why you are going to love our Creamy Chipotle Chicken Skillet
You are going to just love how quick and easy this recipe is to throw together and just one pan for easy cleanup. However, you are just going to go wild over this sauce. It is so good you are going to want to do shots of it. Really!
This Creamy chipotle chicken skillet sauce is fantastic over rice, noodles or even low carb cauliflower rice. Just dreamy. With a cooling and fresh Heirloom Tomato Cucumber Salad , just perfect.
Cinco de Mayo is coming up very shortly. When you are short on time and ingredients, this is the perfect dish. Make sure to check out all our TEX MEX Recipe collection for more inspiration.
We used trimmed chicken breasts cut in half horizontally to reduce the amount of cooking time. However, you could also use chicken tenderloins. Bone in chicken thighs, breast and legs are also delicious but they add a great more time to the cooking process.
We like to use cream or half and half to balance the heat of the spicy adobo chipotle peppers. You could also use a splash of coconut cream, if you wanted to keep dairy free. In addition, we have found this super easy delicious Homemade Chipotle Adobo Sauce from The Organic Dietician which is sugar free, oil free and gluten free.
Of course, all this delicious creamy sauce is fabulous over rice or noodles or even cauliflower rice to keep it lower carb. It is quite addictive.
We used 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce and it was medium spicy. I would suggest 1 chipotle pepper for extra mild, 3 for real spicy. A good dose of sautéed onions and fresh garlic for natural sweetness and depth of flavor. We garnished with a little freshly squeezed lime and cilantro to finish the dish for a bit of freshness.
Have you noticed we have been on a spicy chili kick lately on HWC Magazine? Out of our last 6 recipes 4 of them had chilis in it. When the weather is in between seasons and damp, there is nothing like chili peppers to warm you up and get you sorted.
Be sure to check out our other Easy SPICY recipes
Creamy Chipotle Chicken Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
skinless boneless breasts cut lengthwise to make thinner to reduce cook (or can use chicken tenderloins)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup Fire roasted tomatoes
- 3/4 cup Full fat dairy cream (or coconut cream for dairy free)
- 2 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
with 2 tablespoons of sauce (adjust for your desired heat level)
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 tbsp Cilantro to garnish (optional)
- In a large frying pan, add one tablespoon of olive oil. Turn on your stove burner to a medium heat. Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper on each side. Add your chicken into the frying pan. Cook uncovered over medium heat until golden brown or about 3-4 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Set aside and keep warm. (Do not wash your pan!)
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil into the pan. Add the onions and sauté for about 10 minutes until translucent and slightly golden. If you have the time and want to caramelize the onions, then this is even better. Add the garlic to the pan and sauté until translucent. Add the fire roasted tomatoes to the pan and break up a little with your wooden spoon. Loosen up all the little tasty bits on the bottom of the pan from the cooking chicken. Add your cream or nondairy coconut cream, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Add your cooked chicken back to the pan. Cook over low medium heat just until warm and bubbly.
- Drizzle with a little lime juice and garnish with a little cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!