Triple Decker Sammie is the world’s best Dagwood sandwich with three layers of toasted whole wheat bread piled high with grilled chicken, chorizo, ham, fried egg, bacon, cheese, tomato, rocket, Japanese mayo and grainy mustard (and the kitchen sink…just kidding)
We usually always try to eat healthy but there are some times when the teenagers just need to have to have a little fun with a little sandwich making. We did after all use whole wheat bread and there are some vegetables on top…so that counts as healthy, right?
It all started out with a simple notion of making a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich (sammie) and then my eldest son started taking things out of the refrigerator. The kitchen counter was piled high with condiments and items. I knew right then, he might be a tad hungry…
However, I must let you know that even he could not eat the whole sandwich but only half. This sandwich is of epic proportions and could easily feed a family of four with a side salad for lunch or two adults for a hearty dinner. Bacon, according to my boys, needs to be its own food group so he added just a wee bit on his triple-decker sammie. You have to love boys!
This is my son’s recipe and he deserves all the credit for this beautiful sammie. I was just his photographer and quality assurance taste tester. This triple-decker sammie gets two thumbs up from me. I really like the combination of the grilled chicken, bacon, vegetables with the Japanese mayo and grainy mustard. It is really nice.
If you want to give this sandwich a try, feel free to use whatever you have on hand. You will want to make sure you have plenty of napkins on the table as just getting this sandwich in your mouth is a big feat due to its size! Once you take that first bite, you will be in love.
Summer is the perfect time to eat more casually. If there is any daylight left after you head home from work, you want to spend it outdoors. You could grill everything to assemble this triple-decker sandwich outside and even fry your egg and bacon inside a little piece of aluminum foil out on the grill. Instead of toasting your bread you could grill your bread. As a matter of fact, this sound like the perfect camper’s gourmet meal.
I think some avocado and alfalfa sprouts would be lovely in this sandwich too but that is from a mom’s perspective. My boys are meat lovers, but I love the vegetables. You could make this whole triple-decker sammie vegan by substituting the grilled chicken and meats with grilled tofu and vegetables.
I hope you have just as much fun creating your Three-Decker Sammie as we did. Take time and cook with your kids as the time you spend together is so precious.
More Delicious Sandwich Recipe Ideas
Triple Decker Sammie
- 1 chicken breast
sliced in half lengthwise and marinated in a little olive oil, garlic, basil and paprika
- 6 slices bacon cooked (either on top of grill with aluminum foil or baked or fried on stove top
- 4 slices chorizo slightly grilled or pan fried
- 3 slices ham
thin luncheon meat (slightly grilled or pan fried)
- 1 egg sunny side up either fried on stop top or on grill with aluminum foil
- 3 slices cheese
cheddar or any kind you like
- 3 slices bread whole wheat slices (or whatever kind you like)
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (Japanese brand or any kind you like)
- 1/2 cup arugula
(also known as rocket)
- 3 slices tomato
- Grill your chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Cook the bacon until crispy and set on paper to drain the fat and set aside. Saute the ham and chorizo until just golden brown and fragrant and set aside. Make a fried sunny side up egg (my boys like theirs well done so I break the yolk during the cooking process) and set aside. You can cook up anything you want on your sandwich maybe you like grilled sliced beef or grilled vegetables whatever you like and have on hand will be perfect for your triple decker sammie.
- Toast the bread and spread with your favourite condiment or Japanese mayonnaise and grainy mustard. (Maybe you like HP sauce or ketchup or even horseradish sauce instead, have fun)
- Assemble to triple decker sammie: First place down a slice of toasted bread with the Japanese mayo and then put on the grilled chicken, then a slice of cheese on top so it will melt, then add some arugula (rocket) and then a layer of tomato (Salt and pepper) and then top with a slice of toasted bread with Japanese mayo and grainy mustard on both sides. Next add your cooked ham and chorizo and then some more cheese and more arugula (rocket) then add your fried egg, crispy bacon and then finally top with your last slice of toasted wheat bread with one side Japanese mayo and grainy mustard spread on one side.
- Cut your epic triple decker sandwich in half on an angle or in 4 wedges and serve with your favourite olives and pickles. Enjoy!