One-Pan Moroccan Sausage Paella is filled with warming spices, colorful seasonal vegetables of the autumn harvest, savory sausages and brown rice.
Delicious Moroccan Sausage Paella
One bite is all you will need to know that your body was craving this delicious Moroccan Sausage Paella. From the aroma of the earthy cumin, warming ginger, turmeric and cinnamon to the savory onions and garlic these spices were meant to cure what ails you and a perfect immune booster during the cold and flu season. If you like the warming spices, you are going to love our Easy Moroccan Ground Lamb Stew.
Use the veggies you have in your crisper
I like to use seasonal veggies and currently pumpkin, Asian eggplant, peppers, and garlic chives are readily available here in Hong Kong. Feel free to use what veggies you have in your crisper in your Moroccan Sausage Paella. If you can't get out and about, even a mixed bag of frozen mixed veggies works just fine.
What type of Proteins to add to your Paella?
I used an organic gluten-free chicken sausage with apples for myself so my Moroccan Sausage Paella was mild and slightly sweet and lower in fat and calories. However you could use regular mild or hot Italian sausage like I did for my boys (photos displayed here are all with mild Italian Sausage) or even a vegan sausage if you would like.
The sausage is cooked in the pan and then when you add the rice and chicken or vegan broth it gets all of the delicious flavors and tasty bits off the bottom of the pan and this is what makes this dish so flavorful.
Twist on the usual paella
I am quite partial to traditional Seafood Spanish Paella but this is a fun kick on an old classic for the cooler months. I used brown rice for this dish but if you want to shave off 10 minutes of cooking time, use white rice. I love the fact that you only dirty one pan and you even serve your Moroccan Sausage Paella in the same pan. My pans are all small and my boys appetites are quite bit so I ended up making 2 medium-sized pans of Moroccan Sausage Paella. No worries, leftovers are even better the next day.
Grabbing that quick bite shot before the boys inhale this dish.
More delicious Moroccan Recipes
Thanks so much for reading and please join us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for more recipes and to find out what is going on at Healthy World Cuisine. Subscribe to our Newsletter to check out all the new recipes first.
Moroccan Sausage Paella
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 to 6 Italian sausage
links (I used gluten free chicken and apple sausage for myself and mild Italian sausage for the boys)
- 1 onion
small chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
gluten free organic (if you want to use long grain rice, reduce broth to 2 cups)
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup squash/pumpkin
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 1 Asian Eggplant
(can exchange with Western eggplant or whatever veggies you have on hand)
- 12 oz garbanzo beans
(chickpeas) rinsed well and drained
- ¼ cup garlic chives
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- In an iron skillet or large 28/30 cm skillet (Required: Must have a lid that fits your skillet/pan), add your olive oil and add your Italian sausages (gluten-free chicken and apple sausages, etc) and brown gently on all sides but not cooked through. (Remove sausage from pan and keep warm)
- Add onion and garlic to the pan you just cooked the sausage in and saute gently then add the cumin, cinnamon, turmeric and paprika in the pan and saute for just a minute or 2 until your kitchen smells amazing.
- Then add the brown rice and stir well to coat all the rice with the spices. Add 2 and ½ cups of chicken/vegetable broth to the pan and use your wooden spoon to get all of those delicious browned bits off the bottom of the pan as that is what makes this moroccan sausage paella delicious.
- Now add the browned sausages back into the pan and put the lid on your pan and allow to slowly come up to a boil. Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the squash/pumpkin or any firm vegetables you wish to add to the Moroccan Sausage Paella and just nestle them within the rice. Put the lid back on the paella and continue to gently simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Add the red and yellow bell pepper (capsicum), Asian egg plant and garbanzo beans and simmer in the Moroccan Sausage Paella for 5-10 minute or until the rice is cooked. (total cooking time about 45-50 minutes with brown rice/ total cooking time about 20-30 minutes with long grain white rice)
- Garnish your one pan Moroccan Sausage Paella with a drizzle of lemon juice and lemon zest and enjoy!