HI THERE!

Join our Healthy World Cuisine medical editors (trained in both Western and Eastern Medicine) and learn how to EAT your way around the WORLD from the comfort of your own kitchen. Grab free health tips, recipe ideas, meal plans and gain a better understand how eating choices can affect your health. Be the healthier and happier YOU!
Read More…

Subscribe for Free Recipes and Health Tips

Reader Interactions

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Karen says

Hi Maggie, I grew up in Texas until I married and I think you will find the people there very welcoming. My father loved fried okra but if he could have tried your stir fry, I’m sure he would have loved it. I can’t wait to give your recipe a try. Enjoy your new adventure in life. 🙂

2. cheri says

Congratulation Maggie, on your new life adventures. I love cooked okra, thanks for the great tip how to make it not slimy. Take care!

3. Michelle @ Vitamin Sunshine says

Congratulations Maggie! I know how long you’ve waited to live in the same country with your husband again 🙂

I needed okra inspiration– I always look at it and think, nah, don’t want to learn to cook it today! This looks great.

4. hotlyspiced says

I think moving from Beijing to Austin, Texas would be quite a culture shock! I don’t think I’ve eaten okra Chinese style before as I normally have it with Indian cuisine. It’s lovely to see it vibrantly green and fresh looking rather than muted by a curry. Okra isn’t easy to buy here – I’ll have to check when it is in season then pounce on it xx

5. Anna @ shenANNAgans says

I tried okra for the first time recently. And sadly…. it just isnt a taste or texture I could get into. The little kid in me who used to shove food I didnt enjoy down the back of my dads fancy lounge chair wanted to show her face. LOL! Great pictures tho. 🙂 Thanks for sharing. Cheers from this uneducated green veggie eating foodie. x

6. Monica says

My mom occasionally cooks okra. I love it but come to think of it, I haven’t ever cooked it at home. Love this easy stir-fry and I will keep a lookout for some okra! Thank you.

7. Abbe @ This is How I Cook says

What a nice send off! The okra sound great and I’ve always wanted to try more ways to use them besides gumbo!

8. Sandra - The Foodie Affair says

I’ve only eaten okra Southern-style which is fried! Since I don’t often eat fried foods this stir-fry is a great way to eat more orka! Love the fresh simple ingredients in this recipe. What an exciting time for you, Maggie! I’m off to take a closer look at your site!

9. Liz Weber Berg says

Good luck with your move, Maggie! I’m glad you explained that okra wasn’t a typical Chinese veggie—I was wondering about that! And this simple recipe sounds wonderful.

10. HapaNomNom says

I love Maggie! She’s such a doll! One of the things I love about her dishes, is that she uses ingredients that I never knew were common in Chinese cooking. I had no idea okra was used at all in Chinese cuisine, I thought it was totally unique to southern US. I love all of the flavors in this dish, and it’s so beautiful!

• Healthy World Cuisine says

Maggi is so much fun and she also holds on to the Chinese customs that are true to her and that is what I love most. Yes, okra is also commonly used in Chinese cooking too. I like Maggie’s version as she keeps it very dry with just a few ingredients. You can see by her photos how the okra are still a little crisp but have gathered all the lovely numbing spices.

11. shashi at runninsrilankan says

I always have trouble cooking okra – so I am totally loving this dish – raosting the okra in that peppercorn and chili pepper infused oil makes for one flavorful dish indeed! Good Luck Maggie – wishing you all the very best as you begin a new chapter in Austin! And thanks Bobbi for introducing Maggi to us!

• Healthy World Cuisine says

Maggie is on a plane and maybe in Austin by now, but she most likely going to be a tad jet lagged so responding to some of her comments…I used to have trouble with okra and its the whole texture that makes most people not try it. However I found the high heat of the wok like Maggie discusses and also grilling you do not have that issue with the whole texture thing. Instead it becomes a little crunchy and I love that with those numbing spices.

• Healthy World Cuisine says

Thanks Mira for Maggie’s lovely send off and pinning her dish. I know she appreciates that very much.

12. Eha says

Feel somewhat silly at the moment – I have made pasta aglio e olio all my life and have never carried the easy methodology into other cuisines. Okra is not always available in rural Australia, but when I see it next will certainly use this oh so easy and flavourful recipe!. And naturally one can carry the flavour combination and method over to other vegetables. Maggie – all the best to you and your husband-to-be . . . may happiness follow you in your marriage and your new abode . . .

13. kitchenriffs says

What a great recipe! I like okra, although it’s one of those food that I know a lot of people don’t care that much for. Love what you’ve done with it — easy dish with tons of flavor. My favorite kind of dish. Good stuff — and good to meet you, Maggie.

Left Menu Icon