Cherry Plum Fruit Crumble (Crisp) is one delicious and super easy way to enjoy the fresh plum and cherry season with an irresistible buttery crumble and a dollop of Homemade Coconut Whipped Cream.
You are just going to love this cherry plum fruit crumble as it is only slightly sweet, gluten-free, dairy free and has that irresistible crunch from the baked topping. We love eating it toasty warm from the oven by the spoonful.
There is something magical about pairing something creamy and delicious with our crispy and delectable cherry plum fruit crumble. Have you ever made coconut cream whipped topping? It is super easy. Blend full fat coconut cream with a mixer until stiff peaks or about 3 minutes and add a dash of your favorite sweetener of choice. Of course, some good ole fashion vanilla ice cream or even lactose free ice cream is a perfect pair too. When your cool coconut whipped topping, begins to melt on top of the warm cherry plum fruit crumble…that is pure heaven.
Why you are Going to Love Cherry Plum Fruit Crumble
The best part about this Cherry plum fruit crumble is how simple it is to throw together. This is essentially a dump the ingredients into a pan and bake. Heck it was so easy we whipped this up during packing and moving week.
The beauty of a fruit crumble (crisp) is that you can use any fruit that is in season. A fruit crumble is delicious in the summer with fresh berries, stone fruits and cherries, in spring with mangoes and rhubarb, autumn apples, plums, figs and pears and in the winter, you can even use frozen or canned fruits of choice. The choices are only restricted by your imagination. If you love eating the delicious fruits of the summer season, be sure to try our Mini Apricot Tarts for a delicious and quick treat.
We used a basket of fresh mixed plums for this Cherry Plum Fruit Crumble recipe. We had black plums, red plums and yellow plums (that they labeled as shiro white plums at the Farmer’s Market…must be due to our large Japanese population in the area). All delicious but slightly different sweetness and texture for each.
The amount of fruit and crumble ratio is about 2:1. For our 9 x 9 crockery dish, we used about 3 cups total of plums and 1 cup pitted cherries to 2 cups mixture of gluten-free oats and ground almonds for the crisp. We used Splenda Brown sugar blends to reduce the carbs but you can use regular dark brown sugar if you wish.
If you are looking for other desserts be sure to try our Asian Spiced Pears , Coconut Rice Pudding with Cardamom Honey spiced Pears and our Sesame Spiral Pie Cookies
Grab the last rays of summer and enjoy this quick and easy Cherry Plum Fruit Cobbler!
Cherry Plum Fruit Crumble
- 4 tbsp Butter or coconut oil
and a little extra to coat your dish before baking (we used coconut oil due to dairy sensitivities and please exchange with coconut oil if you need to cook vegan, but even better with real butter) If using butter, keep it cold and cut into little pieces.
- 1 cup Oatmeal
dry quick cook oats (we used gluten-free oats but you can use regular if you wish)
- 1 cup Almond meal
or finely ground almonds
- 1/8 cup Splenda brown sugar if using regular brown sugar increase amount to ¼ cup)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 cups Plums
washed, pit removed and sliced
- 1 cup Cherries
pit removed sliced in half
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 4 tbsp Sugar or sugar alternative
or to taste (depends on how sweet your fruit is so you will need to taste it and adjust to suit your needs)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Coconut whipped topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Grease your baking pan with a little butter on the bottom and sides of dish.
- Prepare your crumble topping. In a medium bowl add butter (coconut oil), oatmeal, almond meal, brown sugar, salt and mix until crumbly. You can use a fork or your hands. Set aside
- Dump your plums, cherries, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and lemon juice into the 9x 9 greased pan and stir just until mixed.
- Sprinkle your prepared crumble topping on top of your cherry and plum mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 40-45 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut whipped topping or vanilla ice cream on top and enjoy.