Spicy Citrus Baked Salmon Packets are made with succulent salmon topped with sweet red ruby grapefruit, ginger, jalapeño and aromatics wrapped in a packet and baked in just 10 minutes in the oven.
Spicy Citrus Baked Salmon Packets for the Win!
Are you ready to eat healthy, lean, spa food that makes you feel like you on holiday in the comfort of your own home? How outrageously delicious does that sound?!
and flipping delectable.
Spicy Citrus Baked Salmon Packets are full on flavor, full on GOOD for YOU with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids and warming spices to get your energizer running.
Healthy World Cuisine
Are you ready to explore new culinary frontiers, eat healthier, and save time – Then, you have come to the right place. Come check out our latest recipes, spring time favorites and our new Healthy Tips for Happiness page. If you are new here, check out our about page to find out what HWC has to offer.
You can literally throw anything your little heart desires in these Spicy Citrus Baked Salmon Packets. Using a packet made with either parchment/waxed paper or aluminum foil is like giving your fish a little steam bath. All of the juices and aromatics stay right in the bag and your fish stays really tender and succulent. In French, the fancy word for cooking in parchment paper is called "en Papillote". Cooking Salmon en Papillote is just one of the 10 Different Ways to Cook Salmon.
Do you have 20 minutes?
Then you can make a full and complete meal. We served our Spicy Citrus Baked Salmon Packets with a side of fresh stir-fried spinach with garlic and a side of lime-cilantro rice. You can save yourself a few minutes and prepare the rice and packets the day before and then just bake the day of.
We saw sweet red ruby filled with extra vitamin C grapefruits on sale and their natural sweetness is the perfect match for these spicy citrus baked salmon packets. You could also use a mixture of oranges, lemons, pomelos or limes for your packets.
Cilantro and Grapefruit
Have you ever tried coriander (cilantro) together with sweet grapefruit? Oh my, get ready as your taste buds are in for a real treat. We used freshly ground coriander seeds to bake in the parchment and then used fresh finely chopped cilantro stems to garnish.
Yes! We used the stems. Waste not - Want not! You are going to be shocked how much flavor is in the stems. If you ever buy the whole fresh cilantro/coriander, with the roots, save the white roots. The roots of the fresh coriander/cilantro makes a fabulous curry paste when mixed with other aromatics.
Citrus fruits are in season. If you are need of a spa like dinner without leaving the comfort of your home, then you are going to love our Sensational Summer Citrus Salmon and Pineapple Glazed Salmon.
Did you know that eating a little bit of chili helps boost your metabolism?
Chilis increase heat and body temperature and have the amazing effect of making you feel fuller faster. We used jalapeño as that was available and cheap at the market but feel free to use other chilis per your heat desire or even dried crushed red pepper.
In addition, we sliced super thin slices of fresh ginger as ginger and citrus are a lovely complement to each other. Ginger is warming and helps with digestion. Remember, if you need to used dried ginger only use about ⅓ the amount as dried is very potent.
You can bake your little spicy citrus baked salmon packets in the oven, a toaster oven, in a fish oven (if you are living in Japan) or even throw them on a grill. Cleanup is a snap as we just serve it right in the parchment paper.
Check out some of our other Popular Fish Recipes
Spicy Citrus Baked Salmon Packets
- 8 sheets Parchment paper/aluminum foil
- 12 oz Salmon filets
all bones removed about 3 ounces per person
- 1 inch Ginger
knob fresh peeled and sliced thinly (or ⅓ teaspoon dried ground)
- ¼ Onion
small red peeled and sliced in half moons thin
- 2 cloves Garlic
minced fresh (1 tsp ground dried)
- 1 Grapefruit segmented (reserve the juice from the scraps of grapefruit)
- 1 Jalapeno
sliced seeds removed or can use ½ teaspoon dried ground chili flakes or to desired heat level)
- ½ tsp Coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander stem sliced ultra fine for garish - optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 176 C) Cut a double piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil large enough to fold over and crimp and crimp the edges.
- Place a salmon fillet on top of doubled up parchment paper and top with ginger, onion, garlic, grapefruit segments, grapefruit juice, jalapeno, dried crushed coriander, salt and pepper to taste.
- Wrap up salmon packets by first bring up the two edges lengthwise and fold and crimp over edges at least twice. Go to the 2 ends of the fish on parchment paper and fold over twice or crimp over the ends to prevent the juices from coming out.
- Place the fish packets on a baking sheet or baking pan and depending on size of salmon fillets bake about 10 -11 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.
- Serve fish packets to your guests right in the packet or on top of sautéed spinach for a healthy spa dinner. Garnish with cilantro stems finely chopped. Enjoy!