Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is a super easy weekday meal chock full of vegetables, Italian spices and cheesy gluten-free tortellini pasta.
This delicious homemade soup can be made in an instant pot or on the stove top. One slurp of this Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup will tantalize your taste buds with the little spice from the mild Italian sausage, rich tomato based broth, garden veggies and aldente cheesy tortellini. Loads of flavor with just a handful of ingredients.
Why We Love Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Under 30 minutes
Uses Pantry items
You are just going to love how easy it is to throw together this Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup. This is one seriously easy dump, cook and go kind of 30 minute recipes. If you make this recipe in an instant pot/ pressure cooker, you do not need to monitor your cooking. You can be doing loads of other things like; helping the kids with homework, make school lunches, wash your car, get the kids ready for a sporting practice, catch up on work e-mails or a million of other things.
- Sweet Italian gluten free pork sausage but you can use any kind of Italian sausage you like.
- Canned pureed tomatoes – or fresh peeled from your garden
- Italian seasoning dried
- Garlic powder
- Chicken bone broth to boost immune system and good gut health
- Bay leaf
- Bag of favorite frozen mixed veggies
- Dried gluten free tortellini or you can use frozen tortellini but you need to reduce the time by 2 minutes.
- Fresh or frozen spinach
Just 9 ingredients! If you check your inventory right now, we bet you have everything on that list except the sausage and tortellini.
EXCHANGES AND RECIPE SUBSTITUTIONS
Need it dairy free? Swap out the cheese tortellini with gluten free pasta of choice.
If you need it meat free, Change out the Italian Sausage with Vegan sausage or just add in a cup of white cannellini beans. Skip the sauté mode in the recipe step and add a little dash of red pepper flakes.
Looking for low carb options? Just hold the cheese tortellini. Add some extra vegetables.
WHY YOU NEED AN INSTANT POT
We had a dire incident the other day. Whilst trying to use our slow cooker, cooking on the stove top, helping someone with their homework and trying to take photos for the website, we started to smell this horrid burning rubber smell. Unfortunately, it was coming from our stove top. In our haste, we had turned on the burner directly below the slow cooker and the slow cooker was melting from the outside in.
We ran over quickly to try to save the poor girl (slow cooker) but it was too late. Her wires were exposed. Upset? Yes. Sad as this was a gift from a very dear friend? Yes. However, it then dawned on us this was exactly the opportunity we were looking for. We bought ourselves an instant pot to see what all the hub bub has been about.
OMG…we must have been living under a rock. Cooking with an instant pot is life changing. Yes, we said life changing. Not only can you do everything in one pot but it saves time, clean up and you can multi-task while you are using it. Check out these other delicious 55 Must Try Cozy Crockpot Slow Cooker Instant Pot Recipes.
While we were cooking our Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup, we managed to get the kitchen cleaned up, set the table, did a load of laundry and made ourselves a cocktail to celebrate.
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is a TIME SAVER
It still takes a bit of time for the instant pot to come to temperature to pressure cook. This time can from 10 minutes to 30 minutes but that is inactive cooking time. This inactive cooking time you can get active taking care of your real life to do’s list and get things done. If you are cooking on the stove top, you must always be active cooking. Stirring, watching it and adding ingredients in at different times and making sure it does not boil over.
With an instant pot, cooking is foolproof. When it is done, it just goes to the warm function if you have set up that way. You can use the quick release and dinner just got done faster. Ring the Dinner bell as your Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup is ready.
How many of you own an instant pot, slow cooker or pressure cooker?
Can you believe it is already fall? In our location, it is already cold, wet and windy. These are the three words that need SOUP. Fall/autumn is that time of the year that we need to be good to our bodies during this change of season. If you have not had a chance to read our Feed Your Spleen; Nourish Your Body post then take a moment to do so as this is the time of the year your need to take care of yourself. Cozy up to a delicious bowl of Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup and warm up from the inside out.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound Mild Italian Sausage
(gluten-free) removed from casing
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 16 oz Canned tomatoes
- 6 cups Chicken bone broth
(gluten-free) or chicken or vegetable broth)
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning dried
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 cups Frozen mixed vegetables
(we love broccoli, cauliflower and carrot mix)
- 8 oz Cheese tortellini
(gluten-free) – dried
- 1 cup Spinach
fresh or ½ cup frozen
- Parmesan cheese optional garnish
Instant Pot Directions
- Turn instant pot to sauté function on high and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mild Italian Sausage. Sauté and stir until browned about 5 minutes with lid of instant pot off. Click cancel on instant pot to turn off.
- Add canned tomatoes, chicken bone broth (or chicken broth, vegetable broth), bay leaf, salt and pepper, Italian dried seasoning, garlic powder, frozen vegetables and lay cheese tortellini on top.
- Close and lock lid of Instant Pot and turn the steam release handle to sealing. Press the pressure cook function and change the time to 2 minutes on high pressure. (If using frozen tortellini pressure cook for only 1 minutes on high pressure) It will take somewhere between 10 minutes and 20 minutes for the pressure cooker to come to temperature. Once Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup has pressure cooked it will beep and if you have it set up this way it will go to the warming function.
- Hit cancel on the Instant pot and unplug from wall. Being extra super careful and keep your face and eyes away from the instant pot you are going to perform the quick release function. With a pair of oven mittens and a kitchen towel, you are going to turn the steam release handle to open and allow the steam to escape fully. It is going to let off a lot of forceful steam. When it stops steaming, the float valve should now be in the down position. (If the float valve is still up and it is difficult to turn, then it means that the instant pot is still pressurized and is NOT safe to open.)
- When safe to do so, remove the lid from the instant pot. Stir in your spinach. Ladle your Instant Pot Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup into bowls and top with a little parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy.
Stove Top Directions
- Stove Top directions (if you do not have an instant pot) Place olive oil in a large pot and saute Italian sausage until browned about 5 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaf, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and frozen mixed vegetables. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Add cheese tortellini and cook according to time on your package directions. Turn off burner and add spinach and stir. Enjoy with a sprinkle of parmesan if desired.