Easy pork shiitake mushroom stir fry is a delicious one wok dish with velvety tender shiitake mushrooms, caramelized thin pork slices quickly tossed with ginger, garlic and chilis and a simple oyster sauce.
All I am craving is Chinese food. Well not really Chinese food but simple, quick, easy and healthy food that I can get on my table in less than 30 minutes. How about you?
Quick stir fry dishes like this delicious easy pork shiitake mushroom stir fry is one way for me to clean out the refrigerator inventory and make sure my family eats their required vegetables every day. If you like mushrooms, be sure to try our Wood Ear Mushroom Vegan Stir Fry.
You are going love how fast this recipe comes together. One very important thing to remember is that the prep for the stir fry is all the work but the cooking time is less than 5 little minutes. When your wok or your frying pan is hot and ready, it cannot wait for your ingredients to get chopped and ready. Your chopped and ready ingredients need to be ready for your hot wok.
Actually, you could do much of your prep work (chopping, dicing and slicing) for this easy pork shiitake mushroom stir fry on your days off work. You can put your prepared ingredients in tupperware or storage bags and then in minutes you could have dinner on your table. You could even make your rice in advance on the weekend and then just stir fry with a few aromatics on the day and you are good to go.
I used fresh shiitake mushrooms for this easy pork shiitake mushroom stir fry recipe but you could also use dried Chinese shiitake mushrooms. If you used dried Chinese Shiitake Mushrooms, you will need to soak them for about 20-30 minutes covered in hot water to hydrate and soften them. I find the stalks of the mushroom whether using them fresh or dried are a little too tough for a stir fry so I reserve them for soup instead and use the caps only. You can use any fresh or dried mushrooms of choice as these quick and easy stir fried meals are all about using your personal kitchen inventory up.
You do not need really any special supplies or ingredients to make Easy Pork and Shiitake Mushroom Stir Fry but if you can purchase a bottle of oyster sauce then you will have so many quick and easy meals on your table with this delicious sauce. Oyster sauce is made out of oyster extract and is thick, rich and delicious.. There are oyster sauce brands without MSG and gluten-free and you may be able to find this ingredient in your Asian food stores, health food stores or even just your regular grocery stores near you because it has become quite popular. I use Choy Sun is made by Lee Kum Kee and do not have ave any gluten issues but if you are celiac you had better contact the company directly to determine if all is okay for you.
Living here in Asia, I have the luxury of purchasing my pork slices already sliced super thin for hot-pot but you can also use pork tenderloin and then cut very thin slices so it cooks quickly in the wok. You can use any vegetables you have in your crisper but I just happen to have broccoli and mung beans in mine, so in the wok they went.
Well let's get chopping and woking!
You may also be interested in these other quick and easy Asian Stir Fry dishes...
Easy Pork Shiitake Mushroom Stir Fry
- ¼ cup oyster sauce use gluten free if celiac
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar or sugar alternative
- 1 tbsp olive oil light flavored
- 1 tbsp ginger fresh grated or can use ½ tsp dried
- ¼ cup onion chopped into half moon slices
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- ½ chili pepper minced (or a dash of red pepper flakes)- optional
- ¼ pound pork thinly sliced (tenderloin or pre-sliced for stir fry)
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 6 shiitake mushrooms fresh, cleaned, stems removed and sliced or dried and soaked in hot water to soften and sliced.
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup broccoli fresh chopped
- ½ cup bean sprouts
also know as mung bean sprouts
- cooked rice as desired (optional)
- Oyster sauce Mixture: In a small dish add your oyster sauce, sugar or sugar alternative and water still until well incorporated. set aside.
- Very Important: Wash, prepare and chop all of our ingredients and place them near your wok or frying pan. (Cook rice per package instructions-optional).
- In your wok/frying pan add your canola oil and turn your wok to a medium high heat and add your ginger, onion, garlic and chili (if desired). Keep that wok moving and once you can start to smell the aromatic...about 1 minute quickly add pork and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper and sesame oil. Keep your wok moving and cook for about 2 minutes just until the mushrooms are velvety tender. Remove your pork and mushroom mixture from your wok into a dish and keep warm.
- Add your broccoli. Season with salt and white pepper and add 1 tablespoon of water and cover to steam for about 1 minutes. Take the lid off the wok. Add mung beans to the broccoli mixture and then add your pork and mushroom mixture back into the wok. Add your oyster sauce mixture and just toss until all of the pork. mushrooms and vegetables are coated.
- Serve Easy Pork and Shiitake Mushroom Stir Fry with rice or all on its own if going low carb and enjoy.