Chorizo and cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts are wrapped with bacon and baked to perfection for the perfect less than 30 minute low-carb dinner solution.
We have a quick post for you today with no frills or story today but just a really delicious recipe for that age-old question. "Mom, what's for dinner?"
Now tell us the truth... Are you bored with "Chicken"?
It is most likely because you are in a chicken RUT. Now don't you worry. We all get into these ruts where we make the same thing all the time, over and over again... BORING! It is time to do a change up and make something your family will request on a regular basis. We originally posted this chorizo and cream cheese stuffed chicken breast recipe in June of 2014 with a point and click camera and since then have made this on several occasions. We have simplified the dish down to 6 little ingredients and have step by step photos to help you along.
Why you are going to love Chorizo and Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
You are just going to love this little recipe for Chorizo and cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts because the outer bacon gets crispy and keeps the chicken moist and tender inside. Rich and creamy cream cheese and melty mozzarella cheese on the inside and the spiciness of the chorizo to balance the dish. This is a dish that will make your family happy.
It was one of those clean out the refrigerator days with a little of this and a dab of that. However those little bits of this and that were just perfect together. We love spicy foods and we had just a little bit of thinly sliced chorizo sausage and what goes better together than sausage and cheese? The only cheese I had on hand was a bit of light cream cheese and about a handful of light mozzarella cheese and let me tell you the spice from the chorizo with the creamy cheese it is just perfectly dreamy.
Step By Step how to make Chorizo and Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
In order to get your chicken breasts flat enough to stuff, you need to slice them lengthwise but not all the way though and then pound them flat. It is a great chance for you to pound out your anger and frustrations. A great weekday meal after a stressful day at work.
The only way it could have been any better was to wrap it with bacon. According to most kids, bacon is now its own food group. It is also the perfect way to keep the edges of your stuffed chicken breasts sealed without using silly toothpicks and it keeps your chicken breast super moist.
Chorizo and cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts are a great low carb meal and gluten-free meal. If you are lactose intolerant, exchange out the cream cheese and mozzarella cheese with a little steamed and pressed spinach and it is lovely. You can use turkey bacon instead of regular bacon and use light or fat-free cheeses if you wish to lighten the dish.
More delicious ways to cook chicken
Please come and follow along on our Pinterest board CHICKEN BIZILLION WAYS with all of the best chicken recipes from some of the best food bloggers out there.
Chorizo and Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 oz chorizo (cured meats thinly sliced or can use the cooked sausage links chopped finely)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
grated or thinly chopped (light)
- 4 chicken breast
boneless and skinless halves
- 8 slices bacon
depending on how large your chicken breasts are. (can also use turkey bacon)
- 1 tsp Steak Seasoning - 1 teaspoon ( or can use freshly ground pepper, salt and a little ground garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped to garnish)- optional
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. (375 degrees F)
- Chop chorizo thin slices into small pieces. I used the thin sliced chorizo in the lunch meat section that is pre-sliced into thin slices and is ready for eating. (However, you can also use chorizo sausage that is uncooked in the links just remove from casing and fry until golden brown first)
- Cut lengthwise into the side of the chicken breast and be careful to not cut all the way though the breast. Then pound the chicken breasts gently flat. (We like to put the chicken breasts inside a sealed baggie and use a rolling pin to beat flat)
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each chicken bread. Sprinkle chorizo and mozzarella cheese on top of each cream cheese layered chicken breast. Starting from the smaller tapered end of the chicken breast, roll up the chicken breast. Close with your fingers and try to keep the cream cheese mixture inside. Wrap 2-3 slices of bacon in a loop around the chicken breast horizontally to hold the stuffing inside, depending on how large your chicken breasts are.
- Season the Chorizo and Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast with steak seasoning and any fresh herbs you desire (or if you do not have that, a little garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper would be just fine)
- In an iron skillet or oven proof pan place a little olive oil and sear the bacon wrapped chorizo and cream stuffed chicken breast until golden brown on each side. Next place the seared bacon wrapped chorizo and cream stuffed chicken breast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve chorizo and cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts hot out of the oven and enjoy. We promise your family will be coming back for seconds.