Slow cooker beef rendang curry is delectable aromatic Indonesian curry made with delicious spices that is super simple with the help of the crockpot (slowcooker). (keto-friendly/low carb)
Slow Cooker (Crockpot) Does all the Work so you don't have to
You are going to love Slow Cooker Beef Rendang because is slightly spicy from the garlic chili, warming from the ginger, aromatic from the lemon grass absolutely sublime and tender! Have you ever tried Beef Rendang?
The slow cooker is the key to making this high maintenance dish down to low maintenance dish. You just pop in a few spices, herbs, beef and let your slow cooker do the work while you are at work, school or running errands. Then finish the rest on the top of the stove when you get home. If you are looking for another cozy warming recipe, you may like our Tuscan Slow Cooked Braised Beef in Wine Sauce.
Finding Asian Spices and Herbs in a Western Market
Do you find it difficult finding Asian spices and herbs in a western food market? Have you ever tried Gourmet Herbs and Spices Garden Stir in pastes? We absolutely love these. This is not a sponsored post or an affiliate link we just really like this product and it saves time. However, if you are living in Asia then go for fresh all the way. Fresh lemongrass, fresh galangal, fresh kaffir lime leaves, fresh chili and fresh shallots. We removed some of the hard to find spices and herbs and made substitutions to meet the needs of those wanting to try a delicious Indonesian dish but those that have difficulty finding the ingredients abroad.
How to Cook Beef Rendang
Did you know that Once your beef is cooked either on high for 4 hours or low for 8 in the slow cooker, the coconut milk and spices change colors? The coconut milk cracks and the beef gets little delicious crunchy browned bits on the ends. Seriously, this is the most delicious part. Here is a photo at the start of the cooking process.
Here is a photo at the end of the cooking process.
Why you are going to Love Slow Cooker Beef Rendang Curry
Slow cooker beef rendang curry is a dry curry so there is not going to be a thick curry sauce BUT there is going to be so much flavor packed in one bite you won’t be able to stop eating it.
What happens as the slow cooker beef rendang curry cooks on top of the stove is that the coconut broth starts to thicken and combine with the herbs and spices and then it will crack. All that will be left is the delicious spiced beef and coconut essence. Are you ready to give this recipe a try?
Dietary Issues? No Problem!
We made this our slow cooker beef rendang keto-friendly/low carb, gluten-free, dairy free and diabetic friendly. Instead of rice we made stir fried cauliflower rice on the side. If you are not watching your carbs, then make delicious Thai Jasmine rice on the side.
You Might Like These Recipes...
Slow Cooker Beef Rendang Curry
- 2 pounds Beef Chuck roast
- 1 Onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
peeled and minced
- 2 whole star Anise or ¼ tsp ground
- 1 stick Cinnamon
or ½ tsp ground
- 5 pods Cardamom freshly ground (or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom)
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 3 tbsp Lemongrass paste
(or 3 fresh bashed and cut to release the essence)
- 2 tsp Chili paste to 2 tablespoons (or as desired for level of heat)
- 1 inch Ginger
knob peeled and grated) or 2 tablespoons of ginger paste
- 1 tsp Sugar (we used sugar free alternative) but palm sugar or brown sugar is delicious if you are not watching your carbs.
- Salt and pepper
- 13.5 oz Coconut milk – 1 can (we used regular full fat) full fat
- 1-2 tbsp Lime juice
- Cauliflower rice or regular jasmine rice optional, served on the side
- In the slow cooker add beef, onion, garlic, anise, cardamom, turmeric, lemongrass, chili paste, ginger, sugar or sugar alternative, salt and pepper to taste and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Beef should be fall apart tender.
- Remove the whole Star Anise, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods and discard.
- In addition, remove the beef AND all the delicious juices from the slowcooker(crockpot) and add to a large skillet or wok.
- Add the coconut milk to the skillet or wok. Cook over medium high until the coconut milk is reduced and the curry is dark and luscious in color. Most of the curry sauce will be gone at this point. All is left from the curry sauce is the oil from the coconut milk and the beef. Carefully brown the beef in all sides to get those delicious little crispy edges. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve your slow cooker beef rendang Curry in a bowl with a side of cauliflower rice or jasmine rice. Garnish with squirt of fresh lime juice and cilantro. Enjoy!