A Breakfast Frittata is a substantial low carb breakfast or brunch option to keep the family full and happy until the next meal.
When you are in need of a make ahead easy and yummy breakfast dish, a breakfast frittata is the perfect solution.
A breakfast frittata is a dynamic dish that you can put anything in it that you like. Most generally the main ingredients of a breakfast frittata are eggs, milk, cheese, and you may add any vegetables, herbs, breads, potatoes, left over pastas, breakfast meats or anything you desire. You can even make 1/2 dish one way with some ingredients and the other 1/2 dish with other ingredients, so you are sure to make everyone in the family is happy- even those picky eaters. However as a mom, my most favorite reason to choose a breakfast frittata is that you can make the preparations in advance and just cook the day of, so you can enjoy your morning out of the kitchen.
The word “frittata,” which derives from the Italian verb “friggere,” which means to fry. A frittata is like an open faced omelette. Traditionally in Italy a frittata was a way to use up those left overs in the fridge and use the base of the egg to hold it all together. Frittatas are usually eaten for breakfast but can also be eaten for brunches and lunches and even at room temperature with a nice salad on the side. A breakfast frittatas is a delicious comfort food that our family enjoys over lazy weekend mornings. Delizioso!!
- 8 eggs beaten (or egg beaters)
- 1 cup milk (can use skim, whole, soy, cream or whatever you have)
- 1 cup cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, goat, feta, ricotta, cream cheese- or whatever your family likes)
- 1 cup cooked breakfast meats- optional (bacon, sausage, ham, etc)
- 1 cup assorted vegetables-optional (if you can get your kids to eat vegetables)- peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms, grated potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes- optional
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil- optional
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives- optional
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
There are 2 ways to make a breakfast frittata
More Breakfast and Brunch Ideas
- 8 whole eggs
or egg beaters
- 1 cup milk
or dairy alternative like almond milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
or cheese of choice
- 1 cup sausage
our family likes spicy breakfast sausage but you can use bacon, ham, etc.
- 1 cup bell peppers
or a mixture of vegetables your family will eat like onion, spinach, or even mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp chives
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- If you wish to use any breakfast meets such as bacon, sausage, ham etc,- chop up and add to skillet and cook on medium heat until golden brown. Then remove breakfast meats and place on plate lines with paper towels and set aside. Drain pan of excess fat/oil, but leave one teaspoon oil in pan to cook the frittata.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C)
- Beat eggs and add salt and pepper, milk, dry mustard, dried pepper flakes and any fresh spices or herbs you wish.
- Chop vegetables and prepare them to add to the frittata
- If you choose not to use breakfast meats, then now add 1 teaspoon of olive to coat pan to prevent the frittata from sticking to pan. Place skillet on medium heat on top of stove.
- Add egg mixture to pan- Do Not Stir- leave set.
- Add cheese, vegetables, breakfast meats and other items as you wish and let cook undisturbed on top of stove for about 2-3 minutes so that a nice crust forms on the bottom of pan.
- Transfer breakfast frittata to oven and cook for about 45-50 minutes until the knife comes out clean and the frittata is lightly browned and puffed.
- Take a sharp knife and run it around the edges of the pan. Cut into pie wedges and enjoy with fruit and toast for breakfast or a nice salad if serving for brunch or lunch. Enjoy!