Baked Pommes Frites (french fries or chips) are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside and make a great combo to those burgers on the grill.
Where is the ketchup? Don’t worry these homemade baked “french fries” are so good that you will not need anything to top them but if you try our . They are also the perfect Baked Pommes Frites to go with fish or alone as yummy savory snack.
Why you should eat Baked Pommes Frites instead of frozen french fries
I was just about to open a bag of “processed frozen french fries” from the freezer section of the grocery store to go along with my burgers on the grill. I turned the frozen bag of french fries over to see what temperature to bake them at. However, something else caught my eye, “the ingredients…” What exactly is Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate and why would there be sugar and dextrose added into my potatoes?
Here is the list of 16+ ingredients on the bag of processed french fries (Brand name to be kept disclosed) “Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Contains One Or More Of The Following: Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Palm Oil, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil), Corn Flour, Rice Flour, Salt, Spices And Coloring, Corn Meal, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Leavening (Disodium Dihydrogen Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Dried Yeast, Modified Cornstarch, Sugar, Dextrose. Allergy Warning: May Contain Traces Of Milk, Eggs, Wheat And Soy.”
Here is the list of my 3 ingredients for my homemade baked french fries, “Idaho potatoes, olive oil and sea salt.” I can pronounce all 3 ingredients. In addition, there is no sugar or other weird chemicals or byproducts that sound like they need to be in a teenagers science experiment.
Here is to a healthier way to enjoy one of my teenagers favorite side dishes- Baked Homemade french fries.
More Tasty Potato Recipes
Baked Pommes Frites, Chips and French Fries
- 4 15 oz potatoes - 4 large Idaho potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Dutch Zesty Mayo (optional)
- ketchup (optional)
- Malted vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 degrees C)
- Wash and scrub potatoes well.
- Cut potatoes in 1/4 inch lengthwise slices then in long slices (Do not peel as the skin makes them more crispy and adds flavor and nutrients)
- Submerse potatoes into cold water and rinse about 3 times until water runs clear. (If you plan on cooking potatoes later then keep in cold water and put into fridge until ready to bake) This step keeps the potatoes from turning brown due to oxidation.
- Drain and dry potatoes very well in towel
- In large bowl add potatoes, olive oil and salt and toss to coat.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil to reduce mess and clean up time and place potatoes in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet of potatoes into oven and cook for about 60 minutes or until golden brown. (Toss potatoes gently every 10-15 minutes so it browns evenly.)
- Serve Baked french fries plain or with ketchup, malted vinegar or our special zesty mayonnaise dip on the side. Enjoy!