Iced Bumblebee Coffee (Coffee and Orange Juice + VIDEO)
There is nothing like a refreshing iced triple layer Bumblebee Coffee – made with fresh squeezed orange juice, cacao whipped espresso and topped with a frothy nondairy topping to kick off your morning.
- ½ cup espresso or coffee brewed
- 1 tablespoon Cacao Bliss or unsweetened cocoa powder
- ice enough to fill glass
- ½ cup fresh orange juice freshly squeezed or store bought
- ⅓ cup almond milk or non-dairy or dairy milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon date paste or sugar alternative of choice (optional) - we did not add any!
The exact amount of each item will depend on the size of your glass and how much ice you use. We used a high ball glass for this recipe and filled it to the top with ice.
Brew an espresso or coffee. If you generally like to add sugar or sugar alternative, like our date paste to your coffee, add it to taste whilst it is hot. We did not add any sweeteners. However, you may want to. It is a personal preference. The orange juice is naturally sweet.
Add 1 tablespoon of Cacao Bliss or unsweetened cocoa powder to 3 tablespoons of brewed coffee to first make a paste. Once the paste is mixed, add the remainder of coffee, and mix well. If you have a frother, you can add all the Cacao/cocoa powder at once to all the coffee and use a frother to blend well. Set aside to cool or place in freezer to expedite the process.
Froth your non-dairy or dairy of choice in a tall container. We used So Delicious brand Dairy Free Organic Creamer made with Coconut Milk because it froths like a champ. However, we have also made it with unsweetened almond milk, and it is also delicious. (If you do not have a frother, add your cold dairy or non-dairy of choice in a large jar with a lid. Place the lid on tightly and shake the jar until the milk is frothy and about double in volume.) Set aside.
If using fresh oranges, squeeze the juice for orange juice. It takes about 1.5 large oranges to make ½ cup orange juice or about 4 small mandarin oranges to make ½ cup.
Assemble: Add ice to glass. Pour orange juice over ice. Using a spoon carefully drizzle the espresso and cacao/cocoa mixture over the spoon. Go low and slow so that the layer of orange juice and coffee are distinct layers. Spoon the frothed non-dairy or dairy of choice. Garnish with an orange and a straw.
Let everyone take their social media photos. (smiling) Then, stir well with your straw and enjoy!
- Milk or non-dairy froths best when it is extra cold. Sometimes, we even put the container we are going to froth the milk or non-dairy in the freezer for a couple of minutes before frothing.
- If you do not have a frother, add your cold dairy or non-dairy of choice in a large jar with a lid. Place the lid on tightly and shake the jar until the milk is frothy and about double in volume.
- Froth or mix your cacao/cocoa powder in the coffee while still warm. You can exchange Cacao Bliss for any recipe using cocoa powder and vise versa. In addition, you can use cocoa powder as an exchange for Cacao Bliss but you will be missing our on the extra healthy super foods.
- If you must add a sweetener to your coffee, add this right after it has been brewed. However, we do not add any sweeteners at all. We like the natural sweetness of the orange juice only. If you normally add sugar or sweetener to your coffee, you will want to. However, if you normally drink your coffee black or just with cream, you may find that no sweeteners are required. It is a personal preference.
- Allow your coffee or espresso to cool before pouring over ice. To expedite the process, we put our espresso and cacao powder mixture in the freezer while we squeezed the orange juice and frothed our non-dairy.
- Pour your mocha coffee mixture gently over a spoon so that it stays in a separate layer from the orange juice layer.
- Gently scoop your frothed milk or non-dairy on top so that it stays in a separate layer from the mocha coffee mixture.
- Garnish the Iced Bumblebee Coffee with orange slices and a straw.
Serving: 1glass | Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 384mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 248IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 1mg