Slow Cooker Beef Rendang Curry
Slow cooker beef rendang curry is delectable aromatic Indonesian curry made with delicious spices that is super simple with the help of the crockpot. (keto-friendly/low carb)
- 2 pounds Beef Chuck roast
- 1 Onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
peeled and minced
- 2 whole star Anise or ¼ teaspoon ground
- 2-3 stick Cinnamon
1 heaping teaspoon ground
- 5 pods Cardamom freshly ground (or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric dried ground
- 3 tablespoon Lemongrass paste
(or 3 fresh bashed and cut to release the essence)
- 2 teaspoon Chili paste to 2 tablespoons (or as desired for level of heat)
- 1 inch Ginger
knob peeled and grated) or 2 tablespoons of ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (we used sugar free alternative) but palm sugar or brown sugar is delicious if you are not watching your carbs.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 13.5 oz Coconut milk – 1 can (we used regular full fat)
- 1-2 tablespoon Lime juice
- Cauliflower rice or regular jasmine rice optional, served on the side
In the slow cooker add beef, onion, garlic, anise, cardamom, turmeric, lemongrass, chili paste, ginger, sugar or sugar alternative, salt and pepper to taste and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Beef should be fall apart tender.
Remove the whole Star Anise, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods and discard.
In addition, remove the beef AND all the delicious juices from the slowcooker(crockpot) and add to a large skillet or wok. Add beef bouillon cube.
Add the coconut milk to the skillet or wok. Cook over medium high until the coconut milk is reduced and the curry is dark and luscious in color. Most of the curry sauce will be gone at this point. All is left from the curry sauce is the oil from the coconut milk and the beef. Carefully brown the beef in all sides to get those delicious little crispy edges. Adjust seasoning as needed.
Serve your slow cooker beef rendang Curry in a bowl with a side of cauliflower rice or jasmine rice. Garnish with squirt of fresh lime juice and cilantro. Enjoy!
Serving: 1g | Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 135mg | Potassium: 736mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 29IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 6mg