Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash
Try this easy crispy Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash recipe that no one can stop eating! Just 20 minutes for a healthy low carb side dish with a garlic lemon seasoning.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 zucchini small , sliced in about ¼ inch thick
- 1 yellow squash small , sliced in about ¼ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic fresh (peeled and minced)
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil spray to prevent sticking on air fryer basket
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest optional but delicious
- dried red pepper flakes optional to your desired level of heat
- 1 tablespoon basil optional - fresh Chiffonade cut
- tomato optional - fresh sliced
- lemon slices optional as garnish
Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
Slice zucchini and yellow summer squash in ¼ inch circle slices. Peel and mince fresh garlic.
Place squash and zucchini slices in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, add the garlic and salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
Spray air fryer basket lightly with a little oil spray. Lay the prepared zucchini and squash in a single layer in the basket. (If you have a small air fryer, you may have to make this recipe in more than one batch.)
Air fry zucchini and squash for 7 minutes on one side. Then, carefully turn the veggies over to cook on the other side for another 5 to 8 minutes or until slightly golden and toasty. The exact time required to cook will depend on the size you sliced your vegetables. They should be fork tender but slightly crispy on the outside.
Place the air fried squash and zucchini on a platter. Arrange in a overlapping circular design, if desired. Garnish with lemon zest, dried red pepper flakes and fresh basil if you like. We also added a few fresh garden tomatoes on the platter for serving.
Leftovers, if you actually have any, can be kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
- To keep the air fryer squash and zucchini crisp, do not overlap the slices in the air fryer basket. If need be, cook in smaller batches.
- For optimal results, use the air fryer basket instead of the baking pan. The rationale for this choice is that the convection heat gets to both sides of the vegetables so that they get crisp. If you have a toaster oven style air fryer like us, just line the baking pan underneath the fry basket to catch any drips for easy cleanup. We tested the recipe both ways and hands down, the basket wins.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C), while you are prepping the vegetables. A high heat prevents the zucchini from getting soggy while it I cooking.
- Don’t use too much oil. A teaspoon or so is really all you need.
- Turn the summer veggies halfway in the cooking process.
- Keeping the squash and zucchini slices all about ¼ inch thick allows for more even cooking.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 28kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 265mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 223IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.4mg