Air Fryer Spring Rolls
Try our super-crispy Cantonese style Air Fryer Spring Rolls. Traditional spring roll wrappers are filled with shrimp, ground pork, thin sliced vegetables and then air fried for a healthy dim sum treat. (The ingredient list looks long only because we have added the same ingredient more than once in the recipe to make it easier for you.)
air fryer or standard oven
colander or strainer to strain filling
damp tea towel to prevent spring roll wrappers from drying out
Spring Roll Wrapping Supplies
- 16 Spring Roll pastry sheets (approximately as it depends on how much filing you are using and the size of your spring roll wrappers)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch to make a cornstarch slurry
- 2 tablespoon water to make a cornstarch slurry
- spray oil or brush on light flavored oil
Shrimp and Pork Mixture
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ pound shrimp raw, shelled and deveined and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine or sherry
- 2 cups napa cabbage sliced and chopped or regular cabbage
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- 1.5 cups bean sprouts (sprouted mung beans) fresh cut in thirds
- 1 medium Carrot peeled and grated
Combined Shrimp and Pork with Vegetable Filling Mixture
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 inch ginger peeled and grated fresh
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- shrimp and pork mixture from above (pork and shrimp that has been marinating)
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- white pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari to taste
- vegetable mixture from above (shredded carrots, napa cabbage, bean sprouts, green onions)
Ginger Tamari Dipping Sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated fresh
- chili Optional- bird chili sliced thin, if you like a little heat
- 1 teaspoon green onions finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Black Chinese Vinegar optional
Spring Roll Wrapper Preparation
Take the spring roll wrappers out of the freezer and allow to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Another option is to place frozen spring roll wrappers in the refrigerator to unthaw for about 2 hours. Keep sealed and do not open package or otherwise they will dry out. (If your spring rolls wrappers have been refrigerated and not frozen, you can skip this step)
Combine the 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and stir well to make your cornstarch slurry. Set aside.
Marinate Shrimp and Pork Mixture
In a medium bowl add your ground pork, chopped shrimp, white pepper and salt, cornstarch, sesame oil and Shaoxing wine. Stir well and set aside to marinate.
Prepare Vegetables and Aromatics
Stir Fry and Prepare Filling
Air Fryer Spring Roll Directions
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C)
Spray air fryer basket with a little oil spray. Spray or brush oil on all sides of the prepared spring rolls.
Place the spring rolls in the air fryer basket making sure they are not touching. Depending on the size and model of your air fryer, you may have to cook your spring rolls in batches.
Air fry spring rolls between 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown on all side. Turn spring rolls midway in the cooking process. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before eating. Enjoy!
Baked Spring Roll Directions
Preheat your oven to 190 degrees C (or 375 degrees F)
Place seam side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and a little spray oil.
Spray or brush the spring rolls gently on both sides with a little oil. Bake seam side down for about 10 minutes. After the first 10 minutes turn the spring rolls over and brush on a little more oil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before eating. Enjoy!
Dipping Sauce (optional)
In a small bowl add soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, green onion, Chinese black vinegar (optional) and if you like it hot a little chopped bird chili. Mix well and serve as a dipping sauce for spring rolls. Also delicious with a little homemade Garlic Chili Oil, Sriracha sauce or plain.
Freezing and Storing
The best part of this recipe is that you can make the filling, wrap the spring rolls and then freeze them before air frying (or baking).
- First, we like to freeze them in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet for a couple of hours. This prevents them from sticking together.
- Then, store the frozen uncooked spring rolls in a sealed plastic container or freezer safe bag in the freezer. Spring rolls can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- When you are ready to eat, just preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (206 degrees C) and air fry until golden brown about 10 minutes on both sides. Do not thaw out the spring rolls. Just place the frozen spring rolls directly into the air fryer sprayed with a little oil first. It takes a little bit longer as they are cooking from a frozen state instead of from room temperature.
- You can also freeze air fried spring rolls for up to 2 months and then just reheat before serving.
- Thinly slice vegetables and proteins all around the same size so it is easier to eat,
- Drain your filling well after cooking so the spring roll wrappers stay crispy and do not get soggy.
- Please cover your spring roll wrappers with a damp tea towel to prevent cracking when you are not using them. This prevents cracking of the thin delicate spring roll pastry.
- Do not over fill your spring roll wrappers or it will be very difficult to roll up and seal. You only need a couple of tablespoons for each spring roll.
- Use a thick cornstarch slurry to seal the air fryer spring rolls. A cornstarch slurry is cornstarch and water mixed together to form a paste. Sometimes you have to stir occasionally as the cornstarch has a tendency to float to the bottom.
- Spray your rolled spring rolls well on both sides before placing them in the air fryer or oven (if baking). Alternatively, you can also brush oil on all sides.
- Do not over crowd your air fryer tray with too many spring rolls. Spread them out. You may need to air fry them in more than one batch depending on the size of your air fryer basket.
- Turn your spring rolls over about 10 minutes into the air frying process or about 15 minutes into the baking process to be certain they are browned on all sides.
- Place a lined baking tray under the air fryer basket to collect any drips from the air fryer spring rolls if you do not want to clean up any messes.
Serving: 1spring roll | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 224mg | Potassium: 108mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 702IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg