Authentic Thai Fish Salad
Authentic Thai Fish Salad is an explosion of flavor with grilled turmeric whitefish, fresh cilantro, mint leaves, vegetables, chilis, lemongrass, ginger and other spices for one delicious Thai meal.
- 16 ounces White fish fillets 4 fillets (we used cod fish but any mild white fish in your region would be lovely)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric ground dried
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Oil to prepare your grill
- 1 clove Garlic peel removed and minced finely
- 1 small Shallot peeled and chopped finely
- 1 inch Ginger fresh knob peeled and julienne sliced thinly
- 2 stalks Lemongrass white part only peeled finely sliced very finely (or can use the prepared lemongrass paste in the refrigerator section if you cannot find fresh)
- 4 to 5 leaves Kaffir Lime Leaves remove stem stalk and finely sliced (There is not a good substitute for kaffir lime leaves but in a pinch you can substitute with 1 heaping teaspoon lime zest)
- 1 to 2 whole Red Chili pepper chopped fresh per your desired heat level (set aside a few chili slices for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons Lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- Salt and White pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Coconut sugar (or sugar substitute of choice or palm sugar)
- 4 leaves Chinese cabbage to line the bowl (garnish-optional)
- 1 small Cucumbers chopped
- 2 Spring onion chopped
- ½ cup Mint leaves fresh whole leaves removed from stem
- ½ cup Cilantro (coriander) fresh whole leaves removed from stem
Prepare your grill with oil to prevent sticking and or use a fish grill holder. (we used our indoor grill pan as it was snowing outside and greased it well. If you do not have a fish holder for the outdoor grill or your grill pan is in bad shape you can also bake your fish at 375 degrees F until flakes easily with fork- timing depends on size and type of white fish but around 12-15 minutes.)
Sprinkle both sides of your fish with ground turmeric, salt and white pepper. Grill Fish for about 10-15 minutes (depending on size of fish) or until fish flakes easily with fork. Remove fish from grill and set aside. (If you fish breaks apart awesome as that is one of the next step in to break into bite sized pieces- don’t worry all is well) – Allow to cool a moment so you don’t burn yourself and then break apart to bite sized pieces. Set aside. This recipe is served at room temperature.
Make the Thai salad dressing: Add your garlic, shallot, ginger lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, red chili pepper, lime juice, fish sauce, salt and white pepper, coconut sugar or sugar alternative of choice in a bowl and mix well.
Line a bowl with a few Chinese Napa Cabbage leaves or lettuce, add your grilled fish, cucumbers, spring onions, mint leaves, cilantro leaves and drizzle with the Thai slad dressing. Very gently toss.
Garnish with a few sliced chili peppers. Enjoy! To be served at room temperature or can be chilled.
We know sometimes it can be difficult finding fresh Asian ingredients so here are some substitutes you can use...
Fresh Lemongrass - Lemon Grass Stir In Pastes (We use Gourmet Garden)
Kaffir Lime leaves - There is really no good substitute for this ingredient but in a pinch you can use lime zest.
Thai Bird Chili Peppers - We actually used a Mexican red chili pepper as we could not find bird chilis. You can use any chili pepper you like to add a little heat even a jalepeno.
Fish Sauce - You can try steeping tamari (soy)sauce with dried shiitake mushrooms in a pan until aromatic.
Can you make this recipe vegan? You bet. The flavor of this salad dressing is dynamo and pairs well with tofu and all kinds of fresh vegetables in exchange for the fish.
Can you make this recipe in advance? You can grill the fish, make the Thai dressing and cut up the vegetables but wait to add the fresh herbs and dressing until just before you are ready to eat so that your herbs stay fresh and crisp.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 423mg | Potassium: 604mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 545IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg