Asian Spiced Pears
Asian spiced pears are warm, cozy, delicately sweetened with the aromatics of lovely star anise, cinnamon and vanilla.
- pears - 1 whole pear per person (bosc, nashi, or whatever kind you like)
- apples - 1 per person (optional)
- star anise - 5 peices (may susbsitute with 1 teaspoon of 5 spice powder)
- cinnamon - 2 sticks (or 1 teaspoon ground)
- vanilla - 1 teaspoon
- butter - 1 tablespoon (or use dairy free smart spread)
- lemon juice - juice of 1 lemon
- sugar or sugar alternative - 4 packets of sweet n low (agave, honey, brown sugar)
- Homemade Coconut Whipping Cream - optional garnish
Preheat oven to 190 degrees C (325 F)
Wash pears (apples) and dry. Cut in half. Core the pears by cutting out the step and using a spoon to scoop out the core and seeds.
Immediately squeeze the lemon juice over the pears (apples) to prevent oxidizing.
In a small sauce pan put in butter, sugar alternative, star anise, vanilla, and cinnamon, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and heat until aromatic and bubbly.
Spray a oven proof dish with a little spray oil. Place you pears (apples) with core side up in the pan. Pour the aromatic star anise, vanilla, cinnamon and vanilla sauce over the pears. Sprinkle a little ground cinnamon over the top if you wish.
Pop your pears in the oven uncovered for about 30- 40 minutes until fork tender and are slightly carmelized.
Step 7: Serve your Asian spiced pears on a decorative plate with a dollop of whipped coconut whipping cream or Asian spiced yogurt or plain and sprinkle with a little cinnamon. Enjoy warm from the oven or at room temperature.
You can use any type of pears you desire for this recipe or apples. We prefer crispy ones that stay a little aldente after the cooking process. Feel free to top with a little Homemade Coconut Whipped Topping for the ultimate treat.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 108kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.4g | Protein: 0.8g | Fat: 3.4g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 164mg | Fiber: 3.6g | Sugar: 13.3g