Carrot Hummus Rolls are made with rich and creamy carrot and garbanzo bean hummus with earthy cumin, zesty sumac, garlic and a spritz of fresh lemon is delicately sweet and perfect as a dip, rolled up in roasted veggies, in a salad, or even tossed in pasta.
I love roasting root vegetables in the fall and winter months. I love how roasting transforms a rather dull vegetable into something sweet and delightful. Let’s take your average run on the mill carrot for example. The lonely old average boring carrot is lovely stir fried or steamed but it is full of extra sweetness and personality when she is roasted and her true colors are able to shine.
I was planning on having a meatless Monday with grilled vegetables in wraps with a bit of hummus. This is always a delicious choice but wanted something a little different. Do you remember some time ago when I posted a recipe for Veggie chips and chestnut hummus. I think you really can make hummus out of many different things and you just have to think outside the box.
We are just a few short days away from Halloween and there is not a Jack O’Lantern pumpkin to be found here in Hong Kong. They must still be on a shipment lost out at sea. However, this delightful little roasted carrot hummus rolls will bring a little bright orange to your table this autumn season.
No, no, no I am not talking about that stuff that grows wild in your back yard and causes a bad rash. Sumac, the spice is something completely different and completely transforms a dish from the ordinary to the extraordinary. I think it is a little difficult to describe as I have never smelled or tasted anything really like it before.
What is the spice sumac taste like?
Sumac is a beautiful bright red colour and usually is found ground from the sumac berries. Sumac smells bright and fresh. It almost smells like little lemony and vinegary at the same time and also has like a light undertone of cayenne pepper from just giving it a whiff.
Ground sumac spice tastes light and bright with a little bit of mild spice. It is the perfect sparkle or pick me up to this delightful creamy and rich carrot spiced hummus. My husband was on a business trip to Thailand and purchased a few spices from the Spice Story line and I have really enjoyed some of the very unique spices he brought home. Sumac is used a lot in Middle Eastern cooking and I am sure you all have heard the spice za’atar that is used in many dishes from flatbreads, main dishes and many more. Carrot Hummus Rolls really sing with addition of delicious sumac.
Now don’t you worry if sumac is not on your spice shelf then just add a bit extra lemon juice or zest and maybe just a pinch of cayenne pepper to your Carrot Spiced Hummus and you are good to go. I know that ground cumin is a more readily available spice and this lends a lovely earthy flavour to this hummus and highly recommended.
Why you are going to love Carrot Hummus Rolls
This roasted carrot spiced hummus is delightful as a dip for vegetables, flatbreads and perfect on a wrap sandwich. I loved it in my hearty vegetable salad for lunch. My boys enjoyed it mixed up in their pasta for a quick and hearty after school snack. However, I wanted a quick-lunch that was gluten-free so at first I was just eating by the spoonfuls… that may I add is a very delicious way to enjoy this carrot spiced hummus. However, it is a lot more fun to spread on grilled vegetables and roll up into some delightful finger food.
Fun Middle Eastern Party Appetizers
Carrot Hummus Rolls
Roasted Carrot Spiced Hummus
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- olive oil spray
spritz on carrots before roasting
- salt and pepper
- 12 oz garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sumac
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup water or as needed for the consistency you desire
- 2 whole Asian Eggplant sliced in thin horizontal slices (can also use zucchini or any vegetable you desire)
- olive oil
drizzle garnish- optional
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cilantro
- Step1: Preheat oven to 190 degrees C (375 degrees F)
- In a medium bowl add your sliced carrots, spritz or drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat. Place your carrots on a lined baking tray (just because I dislike the cleanup up) and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor add garbanzo beans, roasted carrot, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, sumac, salt and pepper and water until creamy and smooth. Sometimes you will need less water and sometimes you will need more as this depends on the amount of juice in your lemon and how big your carrots are. (I try to save on fat and calories when I can so I used water instead of more olive oil, however, you can also add more olive oil to get to the smooth texture you desire) Enjoy your delicious roasted carrot spiced hummus as is with vegetables and crackers or move onto to step 4 if you would like a delicious gluten free and vegan entree, snack or appetiser...
- Slice Asian Eggplant or zucchini lengthwise in 1/8 inch strips (or any vegetable you desire). Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill for about 1-2 minutes on each side until the vegetables are soft to touch and have nice grill marks. Set aside.
- Lay your grilled vegetable (Asian eggplant) on a cutting board and spread a thin layer of roasted carrot spiced hummus on one side. Place a few cilantro leaves on one end with a little bit peaking out of one side and roll up.
- Enjoy your delicious roasted carrot hummus rollups as a starter or as a vegan main dish with a little cilantro rice on the side.