Caramelized Onion Herbed Chicken is a less than 30 minute meal with tender and juicy chicken seasoned delicately with Herbs de Provence, caramelized onions and a lovely wine sauce.
Caramelized Onion Herbed Chicken recipe is going to knock your socks off
Moist and tender
Delicious deep and rich flavor with just a handful of ingredients
Less than 30 minute dinner
Really delicious with a side of Balsamic Roasted Fennel and Carrots
If you are anything like my family, we try to eat healthy and that means we eat our share of chicken and boredom has set in. Today, I decided to change things up a bit and visit the spice rack for a bit of inspiration.
Rosemary, Thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, fennel sound like a lovely way to season my chicken breasts. Herbs de Provence is a wonderful mix of herbs from France that has these ingredients in it, including savory.
A couple of years ago my husband and I visited the South of France. We took a day to visit Île Sainte–Marguerite which is about a half hour ferry ride from Cannes.
The first thing I noticed when I stepped off the ferry was the lovely smell of fresh rosemary growing wild in the forest.
You can’t even imagine how romantic it is to go for a walk amongst the tall pine trees holding your husband’s hand taking in the stunning ocean views as the perfumes from the rosemary tantalize your senses. Blissful…
As I daydreamed about our day on Île Sainte–Marguerite, I put a little dollop of butter in the pan and added my sliced onions. As the sweet perfume of caramelized onions filled my kitchen, I wondered if Julia Childs would be proud. I had a good start with butter in the pan. As Julia has said, “If your afraid of butter, use cream.” Julia was so much fun. How many of you miss watching Julia Childs?
I then sprinkled herbs and seasonings over my chicken and grilled them on both sides just give them some great grill marks. I added a splash of wine that I was drinking into the grill pan to loosen all the yummy bits.
I placed my grilled chicken into an oven proof pan and drizzled the wine mixture over the chicken and covered my chicken with the grilled onions and baked until tender and juicy. It was just as easy as that and in less than 30 minutes I had this delicious meal on the table.
We paired this meal with a lovely 2012 Margaret River Chardonnay from Ashbrook vineyards.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
Caramelized Onion Herbed Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
boneless and skinless halves or 2 whole breasts (Can also use chicken thighs or drumsticks)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
or dairy free margarine
- 1 cup onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine (red or white or whatever you happen to be drinking)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees C or 375 degrees F.
- Wash, pat dry and season your chicken. Rub olive oil, herbs de Provence and salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breasts. In a grill pan sear the chicken on each side until you have nice grill marks. (Do not wash your pan as you will need this later on for the delicious sauce)
- In a small sauce pan, melt your butter and add the onions on medium-low heat cook until deliciously caramelized or about 7-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the grill pan and place in a greased oven dish. Turn back on the burner under grill pan and add the wine and chicken broth to loosen the delicious bits off the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the wine sauce over the chicken. Place a large dollop of caramelized onions on top of each chicken breast. Bake the chicken for about 15-20 minutes or until the juices run clear. (internal temperature 160 degrees F)
- Serve and enjoy with lots of fresh green vegetables for a great low carb meal.